Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze

Article about: Interesting, Thanks for posting.

Interesting, Thanks for posting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

Many of these late-late war visors are dismissed as postwar fakes, when they are 100% original.
    As you can see, they use ersatz visors; reprocessed wool; cello chincords, zink insignia, low-quality leather sweatbands, & rayon piping.
    Most of these date to 1945, and are unissued.

Hat is made by George A. Hoffmann of Berlin, aka Berlolina.

IMO, they have a charm all their own:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze   Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze  

Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze   Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze  

Last edited by stonemint; 10-25-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

I'm glad you posted this one Chris because it is an important cap to study and shows just how far German Industry had come in the production of synthetic materials.
    The lining has so much cellulose fibres in the weave, it's almost transparent!

?

Yes, a valuable thread indeed. Nice to see that " last ditch" visor. As to the vents, I always wondered why Wehrmacht caps in general lacked them; it can get bloody hot inside!
    Virtually every British cap I have( over 50) is vented, along with my few US caps. Then again, there are no vents on French kepis.

BobS

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I'm glad you posted this one Chris because it is an important cap to study and shows just how far German Industry had come in the production of synthetic materials.
    The lining has so much cellulose fibres in the weave, it's almost transparent!
    The Ersatz textiles were well present before the start of the war, i.e. with the onset of the Four Year Plan. You can see thus clearly with the RZM specifications.

This is another last-ditch visor, in this case made by Schellenberg. Note the unfinished wreath; the odd color band, and the same translucent rayon lining Ben noted above:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze   Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze  

Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze  
    Attached Images Attached Images Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze  Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze  Odd Heer Infantry Schirmmütze 
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Thanks for the chastisement FB, you are correct of course but despite being present, they were not as present as the example presented here...or were they?

Who knows for sure, I just know that I can put these things back together..can you?

No chastisement, of course, dear Ben, The quality of textiles declined steadily, but my point is that the decline began well before what some (not you...) think is the beginning of said decline. I am thinking here of the "scull" savant and his followers in this generalization.
    We celebrate your historical curiosity and your great skill as an artisan.

Odd Heer Infantry SchirmmützeOdd Heer Infantry SchirmmützeOdd Heer Infantry SchirmmützeIf you look closely at this image of a 1938/9 cap, you can see the Misch threads in it, despite it being a peacetime cap.

The cap on the right has much nicer textiles in it than the one on the left.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast