Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinion on Artillery Schirmmütze

Article about: Hi All, I don't collect much in the ways of German headgear, however stumbled upon this Artillery Schirmmütze for sale. Only photos at the moment, but was curios as to first impressions of a

?

Default Opinion on Artillery Schirmmütze

Hi All,
    I don't collect much in the ways of German headgear, however stumbled upon this Artillery Schirmmütze for sale.

Only photos at the moment, but was curios as to first impressions of authenticity based on the photos provided.

To my novice eye, it appears to be authentic.

I hope to obtain additional photos, and will update the thread accordingly. In the meantime, any feedback, good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on Artillery Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Looks original to me , seems like someone tried to make a Crusher out of it , by removing the wire stiffener . Has the inside been messed with ? Because it looks soft in the photos , like the sweat band has been removed .

?

Thanks, Chris. I'm unable to answer any questions at the moment. Waiting for the seller to get back to me with photos and additional info. I agree though, that the stiffener has definitely been removed.

It looks ok at first glance but an interior photo is needed. The so called "crusher" look was a kind of fashion preference to make the cap look battle worn or used heavily - like with a veteran Kämpfer. Here is my cap for comparison. The spring inside the peak keeps the top of the cap stiff. When it is worn or removed, the sides of the cap droop over the headband area. NH

?

Thanks, Neil. Very nice example.

The crusher look was also popular with US servicemen. They all wanted that "flyboy" look! I have an enlisted visor in my collection that appears to have been converted to a crusher during the period; wear/fading is what add's credibility. Lot's of debate, however, as to what a "true crusher" is, with US collectors; very thin, single layer visor, and manufactured by Bancroft Flighter. All other's are converted crusher's.

Hoping to obtain interior shots if and when the seller gets back to me.

I appreciate the input!

I think you have a good cap there. It has issues - moth nip and missing chin strap. You can get a replacement strap (original or repro) to complete the cap. If the price is right it may be a very good starter. NH

?

Thanks again, Neil! Price is definitely right, with plenty of room to add a replacement strap without overvaluing.

CBH
    ?

There were production TR crushers made to be flexible with a soft visor , other were conversions .

Chris is correct. When such a cap was not available it was possible to make a convincing conversion by altering an issue cap. NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast