Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Opinion on Artillery Schirmmütze

Article about: Hi All, I don't collect much in the ways of German headgear, however stumbled upon this Artillery Schirmmütze for sale. Only photos at the moment, but was curios as to first impressions of a

?

Thanks, gentlemen! I wound up pulling the trigger on this, and quite a few other German and US items from the same seller. All are part of a grouping to US vet who served with the 434th Troop Carrier Squadron.

I'll post the entire group once in hand.

Until then, the photos provided by the seller of the interior of the Schirmmütze, which really don't tell much. Sadly, the visor has become detached!! Not a problem, though, as the rest of the grouping makes up for it.

Thanks again to everyone who provided feedback!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on Artillery Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

Oh dear. That is one well used cap! It is possible to sew the visor back on. I had some luck repairing a Heer infantry cap. The interior photo tells us nothing but this appears to be TR era. NH

?

Thanks, Neil! I have to agree; well used, or more likely improperly stored.

My goal is to reattach. Nothing over the top, though. A few non-synthetic threads here and there to hold it in place.

Yeah, the photo's leave much to desire, but based on the other items in the group, I don't doubt it's legitimacy.

It would be great to see the other items posted in the appropriate section. Always cool to get grouping together. NH

?

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    It would be great to see the other items posted in the appropriate section. Always cool to get grouping together. NH
    Ask, and ye shall receive. Just received the grouping today, and posted all of the items here:

US Troop Carrier Grouping with German Bringbacks

I took a look - wow! The cap can be made a bit more presentable by adding a chin strap and displaying on a cap stand. You should be really pleased with the whole package. NH

?

Thanks, Neil. You see now why I wasn't too concerned with the condition of the cap. The other items certainly make up for it!

I will eventually add a chinstrap to complete. Need the buttons to attach the chinstrap as well.

I have one button for the cap but I know a dealer who sells them. Shall I check this weekend? Neil

?

Cap is a nice orginal early cap. Lining seems to be missing, probably some grandkids playing with the cap in the past. If the sweatband is not to dried out, try take a peek on the inside of it and check for stamps.

The real gem, is the helmet....whateever you do, dont remove that liner from it.

?

Thanks, Sagge! I believe the condition issues with the cap and the helmet liner are due to improper storage.

As for a date on the cap, sadly the sweatband met the same fate as the lining, and is no longer there.

No worries about the helmet liner; wouldn't even consider attempting to remove/replace it. I may at some point try to add a chinstrap, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2