Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!

Article about: By the way, this book I found in Vienna about nearby Iglau is based on a cache of photos of the K.H. Frank personage, and it is an extremely interesting and impressive chronicle of this Mora

?

Default Re: Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!

Quote by KSH View Post
    By God, this kind of Google Translate-ish "English" is just horrible and tiresome to read for me at least. I would prefer the original German text far over this 'travesty of tongues'! No offense intended.

- Kenneth
    Hi Kenneth

Sorry for the bad writing in english.

Cheers Andi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!
    P
    Many

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I tried to write in German here and got disciplined. We take people as they come, and Herr Andi is welcome here in which ever language he speaks.
    I did not intend to imply otherwise and I see now that my rebuke above might suggest something undesirable. I just have too much love for language to be able to appreciate the effectiveness of the automatic translators, which easily destroy any language they try to replicate.

I find it a bit comical to be honest that the language of the culture most people on this site are interested in is not allowed to use. But then again I have always humored over all the people out there collecting documents and books (and other things) they don't even bother to learn how to read...(!)

On the other hand I may just be having a bad day...

- Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 11-28-2011 at 07:59 PM.

KSH
    ?

Quote by Vet44 View Post
    Hi Kenneth

Sorry for the bad writing in english.

Cheers Andi
    Hi Andi,

I will also apologize to you for being a bit nasty there! I just hate Google Translate

- Kenneth

?

I understand you.

Cheers Andi

Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Paul Kaps SS General's Schirmmeutze - potentially!Knowledge of German by non Germans is the sine qua non to collect this stuff in an effective manner. It is especially my North American countrymen and -women who ignore this requirement with a kind of insouciance and even arrogance that I find astonishing. In fact, I vowed to learn German fifty years ago after seeing the Longest Day as a nine year old. Now able to see the scenes of this film once more in You Tube with marvelous German actors of the era, the original impulse is as vital. It is also true that many Germans and others cannot write English like Shakespeare or Orwell, but many native English speakers cannot, either.
    We live in an age of leveling and so long as people are polite in whatever language they speak and write, they are welcome here.

The riddles in enigmas are far greater when you fail to do the hard work to understand the essentials of language, which opens up vistas of history, culture, art, mentality and so on without which these things are truly just foetid woolens.

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Knowledge of German by non Germans is the sine qua non to collect this stuff in an effective manner. It is especially my North American countrymen and -women who ignore this requirement with a kind of insouciance and even arrogance that I find astonishing. In fact, I vowed to learn German fifty years ago after seeing the Longest Day as a nine year old. Now able to see the scenes of this film once more in You Tube with marvelous German actors of the era, the original impulse is as vital. It is also true that many Germans and others cannot write English like Shakespeare or Orwell, but many native English speakers cannot, either.
    We live in an age of leveling and so long as people are polite in whatever language they speak and write, they are welcome here.

The riddles in enigmas are far greater when you fail to do the hard work to understand the essentials of language, which opens up vistas of history, culture, art, mentality and so on without which these things are truly just foetid woolens.
    Wise words my friend - as usual. In fact, I have been accused of being an "Orthography-Nazi" by some of my acquaintances more than once mind you. I like rules and protocols it seems - however I also like to break them. Now there's a paradox.

- Kenneth

KSH
    ?

Quote by Vet44 View Post
    I understand you.

Cheers Andi
    Pay no attention to my rambling above, Andi - it was totally uncalled for. I simply had a quite unsympathetic and nasty moment there (brought on by external factors not revelant to our hobby in this case)

I am usually a very nice guy

- Kenneth

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    By God, this kind of Google Translate-ish "English" is just horrible and tiresome to read for me at least.
    You should visit London Kenneth where you will hear the English language murdered in a million different ways, by born and bred Englishmen and woman.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    You should visit London Kenneth where you will hear the English language murdered in a million different ways, by born and bred Englishmen and woman.
    As for London, I THINK I can be able to bear just about anything with a little effort, except cockney! It's called "bottle" and not "bo'el" for heaven's sake!

- Kenneth

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Such a thing is welcome here, too, in fact. I find cockney to be very pleasing to the ear, in fact.
    It is CNN English, that is, the odd accents I hear only on CNN international to be very irritating.
    BBC English is very pleasing to me, since my father was born in London in 1912, but was not British.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast