Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...

Article about: Hi all, I'm looking at a Pioneer Visor Cap and would like some opinions. The shape is a bit "limp" (for lack of a better term), and the embroidered eagle seems to be poorly stitche

?

Default Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...

Hi all,

I'm looking at a Pioneer Visor Cap and would like some opinions. The shape is a bit "limp" (for lack of a better term), and the embroidered eagle seems to be poorly stitched, but perhaps this is normal?

What do you guys think?

Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Pioneer Visor Cap. Would like some opinions please...

A good one !

?

Thanks for the feedback. I've had a couple others look at this cap and they said the eagle was not original to the cap (replaced post war), and the wreath was replaced as well. Do you agree or do you think all is original to the cap?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I've had a couple others look at this cap and they said the eagle was not original to the cap (replaced post war), and the wreath was replaced as well. Do you agree or do you think all is original to the cap?
    Your cap is a handsome piece. Very often in my experience of these things in Germany, the insignia were removed and the cap kept intact. It is a small problem vastly overstated by certain inexperienced and overly perfectionist collectors. The cap needs to be reblocked, somehow, which BenVK knows how to do, and you will be proud of it. Schellenberg caps are nicely made and this is a nice one. The Kranz and Kokarde are not positioned properly, as it goes into the piping, but these are really little issues. How many denazified hats have I seen in Germany in the 1960s and 1970s that had the badges removed?

?

Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for the insight. Knowing that this cap was likely rebuilt post war, what do you think I should pay for it (what would you pay if you were me)?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for the insight. Knowing that this cap was likely rebuilt post war, what do you think I should pay for it (what would you pay if you were me)?
    Thanks. I would not say "rebuilt," which it was not, surely, i.e. remade. It had its badges removed, which maybe is a demerit of a hundred bucks, but who knows?
    Pionier caps are not common and this is a handsome cap, otherwise. I do not know the prices of army caps, other than on high end dealer sites.
    I will let Ben VK or the others comment. It is a nice piece all the same. Someone skilled can fix the badges for you carefully.

?

The badges are not positioned properly and are likey not the ones the cap orginaly had but who cares really.

As I tried to explain on the other forum, hand embroidered aluminium wire or "bullion" badges were very costly to buy and much desired during the period. A fact nearly completely overlooked these days.

The hat itself is a fine original with the only issue that I can see being that the front spring has probably worked loose which has made the peak hang down.

The Muetzensteg or the support piece for the crown is damaged, or broken from poor storage, since the Schellenberg caps are very saddle shape, with a tall crown. Master Ben knows how to fix these, of course. All these problems are pretty normal. Or, you save your money and wait for another cap, which will also come along quite soon, without any signs of age. However, the cap has a nice interior, which is a criterion here, too, is it not?

I find the removal of the badges to be a total non issue, truth be told. How often have I seen it in real life? Many, many times.

?

Thanks guys, for your thoughts. Ben, I misunderstood your meaning in the other forum. I thought you were referring to the hand stitching of the eagle onto the cap, not the actual embroidery of the emblems themselves. My bad

I'll probably pass on this cap since I have no clue as to a fair price and don't want to overpay.

Thanks again!
    Dzyner