Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Polizei M43 cap

Article about: 5 holes in a wartime example of so I've always been told. Could be yet another collectors myth if we look hard enough.

?

Default Re: Polizei M43 cap

5 holes in a wartime example of so I've always been told. Could be yet another collectors myth if we look hard enough.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Polizei M43 cap
    P
    Many

5 hole and straight stem is what I was told.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

,..to my understanding,..you will have a hole then skip a hole in the originals and a straight stem as others have said, making 5 holes,....
    if you are concerned about the color difference, just buy a real WW2 edelweiss and sew it where the post war one rested,..if you are concerned about how it will cover,..buy a repro one to see,..that would be $8 vs $35-$90 depending where you buy it,...original thread may be easily obtained as well or you may use tapestry makers thread which burns fuse- like as does the original WW2 type,....

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    5 holes in a wartime example of so I've always been told. Could be yet another collectors myth if we look hard enough.
    Ok, I had not heard that. kind of like the 7 towns on a krim shield : )

?

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    5 hole and straight stem is what I was told.

Eric
    Ok, straight stem I heard before now i know about the 5 holes. Thanks

?

Not wishing to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but i was told many years ago that construction was as follows " two piece with 4 holes" evenly" spaced with the last hole at the bottom of the stem, the holes almost form the four points of the compass", the reasoning i was given was that from the top of a mountain you can see 4 points of the compass, now whether that was a flight of fancy on behalf of the guy i dont know but to me it does make a strange form of sense

?

Interesting Dave. It's amazing how we have all learn't certain rules of collecting that have been passed on but are they all accurate?

For example, there is nothing special about period sewing thread as jws54 said (I hate not knowing real names!!!). It's just 100% cotton or linen. You can buy it off the shelf today for the same price as polyester thread.

?

Wouldnt it be great if there was actually an ABC of collecting that was totally accurate in every aspect, then again i daresay it would take all the fun out of researching and learning, and of course there are some reference books that are not always accurate anyway, plus if everybody knew everything about everything there would be no experts, boring really

?

Luckily for us, that day will never come and there will always be something new to learn. In all honesty, that's why I always come back to this hobby no matter how much it frustrates me sometimes.

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Not wishing to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but i was told many years ago that construction was as follows " two piece with 4 holes" evenly" spaced with the last hole at the bottom of the stem, the holes almost form the four points of the compass", the reasoning i was given was that from the top of a mountain you can see 4 points of the compass, now whether that was a flight of fancy on behalf of the guy i dont know but to me it does make a strange form of sense
    Well this piece fits that description but the stem is curved. I'll research these badges a bit more. thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast