Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Possible SA Man's Kepi?

Article about: Any other opinons/evidence on these types of Kepis? Thanks!

?

Default Re: Possible SA Man's Kepi?

Any other opinons/evidence on these types of Kepis?
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible SA Man's Kepi?
    P
    Many

Dimas-
    The kepi you posted is an unquestionable original example. The cheaply constructed Sudmark kepis show no relationship to any known original examples. I have personally thought that these were made to sell to American soldiers during the occupation years. Although not allowed to wear their uniforms in Austria prior to the Anchluss, the majority of the SA men had complete uniforms which were either hidden in their residence or stored across the border in Germany. Secondly, if these were some form of quickly assembled items, it challenges logic that so many of these would have been retained and survived as it would immediately be deemed non regulation. Finally, as I previously mentioned, no period pictures of these odd formed kepis have ever been seen. As I know there have been a plethera of these kepis on the market over the years, one would think that at some point a collector, historian or researcher would have found photographic evidence of this kepi. Volume III of "The Headgear of Hitler's ermany," which is a very well researched reference work. discusses kepis in length. There is neither a written or photographic referal to this form of kepi.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Bob! After hearing your thoughts, I am not sure what to think on this Kepi. I wish someone could shed further light on the issue, because I have seen others like it. I guess this is an area of controversy.

?

I 've saw some nice aged copies in Germany, but they are still easy to recognize thought
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

I have not been able to locate any images that offer any real insight into these kepis but this picture of standard bearers during the first days of the Anschluss shows some somewhat sketchy kepis and they definitely sport a second pattern eagle that would suggest that perhaps they were not stored from 1934.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible SA Man's Kepi?  

Another Austrian from the same period albeit with a regulation chinstrap.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible SA Man's Kepi?  

D-
    An interesting image that validates the fact of standard kepis being worn in the first days of the Aunschluss.
    BOB

Bob,
    You might also be interested in this image from the Anschluss that is described in its original caption as "The Austrian Legion".
    D.

?

Thanks! Those are some interesting photos. In that first photo, a few of the kepis do look a bit rough like you said. When you refer to the second pattern eagle, is that the one on the hat that Dimas posted?
    Thanks!

Nick

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Bob,
    You might also be interested in this image from the Anschluss that is described in its original caption as "The Austrian Legion".
    D.
    D-
    Your image of the Austrian Legion reinforces my thoughts on the kepi that started this thread. Not only are the men in the photograph all wearing the proper uniform of the day, their sturmfahne has the static swastika showing this was an early pre-Anschluss unit.
    Jaeger-
    There are actually four differnt national emblems that were worn on the kepi. The M29, M35, M36 and late M36, which elongated the wing length of it's earlier predecessor. I will post kepis with all four models, the final two both being Austrian. Note the early model 1936 eagle on teh first Austrian kepi. This is a statement in itself that the traditional kepi was worn prior to the reunifocation with the Reich
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible SA Man's Kepi?   Possible SA Man's Kepi?  

Possible SA Man's Kepi?   Possible SA Man's Kepi?  

BOB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast