Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Post your favorite cap please

Article about: A gray Pekuro S S general officer schirmutze

Default Re: Post your favorite cap please

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This is my favorite picture of a cap I wish I could call my own, were it still on the planet earth and not burnt to a crisp, thrown away, or otherwise lost to the emptiness of time. Notice the Hoheitszeichen on said cap. One of you can date this better than can I......
    I would date it ca. 1936 based on the following observations:

• This Untersturmführer is holding the official-pattern SS officer's honor sword as introduced in 1936.
    • His cap eagle, on the other hand, is still the early "political" pattern as opposed to the new SS model also introduced in 1936.
    • His shoulder boards, too, are still of the Allgemeine SS pattern as opposed to the Army-style shoulder boards introduced for the SSVT in - if memory serves - 1937.

So, I'd say the photo was taken in 1936 or - given that uniform/insignia changes always took time to fully implement - 1937. Shouldn't be later, but of course nothing is really certain. (Sepp Dietrich, for example, wore his Allgemeine SS-style shoulder boards well into the early stages of World War 2. But then, he never cared much for regulations anyway.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your favorite cap please
    P
    Many

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I would date it ca. 1936 based on the following observations:

• This Untersturmführer is holding the official-pattern SS officer's honor sword as introduced in 1936.
    • His cap eagle, on the other hand, is still the early "political" pattern as opposed to the new SS model also introduced in 1936.
    • His shoulder boards, too, are still of the Allgemeine SS pattern as opposed to the Army-style shoulder boards introduced for the SSVT in - if memory serves - 1937.

So, I'd say the photo was taken in 1936 or - given that uniform/insignia changes always took time to fully implement - 1937. Shouldn't be later, but of course nothing is really certain. (Sepp Dietrich, for example, wore his Allgemeine SS-style shoulder boards well into the early stages of World War 2. But then, he never cared much for regulations anyway.)
    Dear Friend, The so called 1936 Hoheitszeichen was designed and contracted in the year 1935, in fact, but became widespread in 1936. I am sure you are right, and yours is a fine analysis. This image appeared on the mad house website, but it belongs in better analytical company.

I own two early grey SS caps, truth be told, and there are many images of this grey cap, be it earth grey or field grey in wear ca. 1935. Mr. d'Alquen has done all the picture research.

And, there is no reason to believe that everyone changed the badge on their cap in a single ninety minute period on a given date in 1936, either. Said changes took place over time, surely.

Vielen Dank.

PS The personages of the mad house site suggest that this man was named Preuer, and received his Ehrendegen indeed in the year 1936. He is well listed in the rank lists.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-07-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold
    PS The personages of the mad house site suggest that this man was named Preuer, and received his Ehrendegen indeed in the year 1936. He is well listed in the rank lists.
    So, provided the identification is correct, it is 1936 indeed.

The SS-DAL of 1 July 1935 lists Otto Preuer as serving with II/SS 1 (matching the collar patch in the photograph); by the SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1936, he had moved on to the staff of the RFSS.

Commissioned Untersturmführer (the rank seen in the photo) on 9 September 1934, he was promoted to Obersturmführer on 29 March 1936.

Thus, the presence of the sword together with his rank now places this quite firmly in 1936.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 03-07-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Very nice all !

What a good portrait. Quintessential SS-VT and a clear view of the early grey cap. Personally I would have been inclined to think this picture was taken in 1935. I'm not an edged weapon collector and can't recall seeing a document giving the date for the introduction of the SS-Degen.
    d'Alquen

hard to choose

Hans
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your favorite cap please   Post your favorite cap please  

Post your favorite cap please   Post your favorite cap please  

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    So, provided the identification is correct, it is 1936 indeed.

The SS-DAL of 1 July 1935 lists Otto Preuer as serving with II/SS 1 (matching the collar patch in the photograph); by the SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1936, he had moved on to the staff of the RFSS.

Commissioned Untersturmführer (the rank seen in the photo) on 9 September 1934, he was promoted to Obersturmführer on 29 March 1936.

Thus, the presence of the sword together with his rank now places this quite firmly in 1936.
    thank you.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your favorite cap please   Post your favorite cap please  

Regards,

Steve.

All beautiful examples, sorry but I cannot remove my bias, my Fathers Luftwaffe Schirmutze.

Another favorite

Hans
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your favorite cap please  

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast