Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Post Your Kaiserreich (Imperial) Headgear!

Article about: by stonemint This would be my idea of a treasure chest: (credit:GMIC) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

?

Default Re: Post Your Kaiserreich (Imperial) Headgear!

That Saxon Carabinier Regt. peaked cap and tunic in the background aren't too shabby either.

BobS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post Your Kaiserreich (Imperial) Headgear!
    P
    Many

Hi

I was watching that one as well and that's a lot of $.

It's a later war item as the band was not introduced till past 1915 and the peak looks like it could be cardboard making it maybe 1917/18 manufacture.

The tell tale sign of later production is in the flip side as although it has a nice interior liner as per private purchase caps the sweatband is either paper or oilskin at best.

Also from 1915/16 onwards officer caps were supposed to be made from the same cloth wool as the nco and other ranks caps rather than any other type of material. I guess to standardise the look ? This one is made of the wool material albeit a better quality than that found on your average kratzen !

One final point.....not sure about the interior markings of what may be a maker ? and other thing IMO is the chinstrap is wrong. The three part chinstrap were 1920's in style as the imperial tended to be buckled or slider style and also fixed with sow on buttons.

Nice looking cap though !! I'd like to know what makes it worth the extra $ . Only reason I can think is that some one really wanted it.

cheers

tony

A view of just some of my cross-town friend's visors--a mix of KR, Weimar and TR. Almost every visor is traceable to the original soldier or unit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post Your Kaiserreich (Imperial) Headgear!  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Lovely cap, Bob.

Here are 2 "stonemint" hats for the same Regiment from my cross-town friend. Both are from Bayer. 1. Schweres Reiter-Regiment Prinz Kark von Bayern (München) 1st Bayern Armee Korps.
    The first cap is very appealing, its amazing how nice of condition all these caps are in.

?

Lovely cap, Bob.

Here are 2 "stonemint" hats for the same Regiment from my cross-town friend. Both are from Bayer. 1. Schweres Reiter-Regiment Prinz Kark von Bayern (München) 1st Bayern Armee Korps.
    Lovely caps, for certain. Interesting that these two regiments changed their facing colors from poppy red to yellow in the 1915-16 uniform regulations. You can see it in the book "Feldgrau 1916-1916."

BobS

Thanks for showing this one Stonemint

?

From my cross-town friend:

"A few years ago, I obtained this war time private purchase war time visor from a German collector. The cap fabric is heavy ribbed corduroy (probably suit or leggings material), has a pressed paper visor, zinc cocardes, oil cloth sweatband, but a real silk liner – whatever materials the maker had to work with, with war time shortages. The exact mate to this cap (with optional chin strap), is in the permanent Ingolstadt collection. If you look at the first photo, you’ll note that the fabric under the black band is different from the ribbed top fabric. War time shortages often necessitated that scrap fabric was used on caps, in smaller areas.

The owner’s name, “Goedecke” and Feld Artillery Regt. 10 (Scharnhorst) were inked under the visor. I was curious if “Goedecke” could be identified. From experience, It is almost impossible to find a WWI or WWII enlisted soldier, without a date of birth. The other, more chancy solution, was to find the post WWI printed history of the regiment. Recently, I found this history, printed in Germany in 1930.

In the page after page of the 1914-1918 dead of this regiment, there is a listing for a Kanonier Goedecke, who was KIA on 30.3.1918, along with three other Kanioner’s on the same day. The book refers to one of the guns of the 7 battery being hit by counter battery fine on the Somme front, at Tilloloy. Four artillerymen serving the gun were killed, & five severely wounded. The regimental history shows a photo of an artillery piece, in an well entrenched bunker, that was hit by counter battery fire and destroyed. The caption does not identify the battery or crew.

It’s not just the cap, but the story if you can uncover it."
    Outstanding that you located the original owner of this very interesting cap. Well done.

BobS

?

Wow, that's a really oustanding example. Was this an online auction, or Ebay?

BobS

I would have gladly overpaid for that one!

?

Anyone have this book? I found while searching ebay.

Post Your Kaiserreich (Imperial) Headgear!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast