Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Post Your Pics of Beater Visors!

Article about: This one has to be up there on the beater scale:

Helen give it a go,you never know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post Your Pics of Beater Visors!
    P
    Many

?

Hallo Helen,

this is one of the most difficult tasks to do. First you'll have to take the thing apart completely (apart from the three layers of the top panel) and iron the parts carefully (you'll certainly think of "das Muster abnehmen" - would be interested in these, btw). Then you'll need some spare parts (a fitting peak, the cardboard for the centerband, material for the piping etc.) If you then - I don't know the English term for "Heften" - is it stitch? the parts together before using a sewing machine it could work out. One must bear in mind that the old Meister worked very very exactly - the seam allowance is extremely small. And I do hope the material will not fringe out, so be very careful when you unseam it, don't brush it, even when it is dirty - this can be done after it has been sewn together again. Good luck!
    Would be very interested in seeing your work! If you even manage to maintain the size you are a Meisterin!

I'm sure Helen is a good craftswoman and I, for one, was not trying to discourage anyone from doing anything, just giving advice from my own point of view--- I'd of course be interested in seeing the results if she's up for the task! Just looked to me like black magic would have to be involved in order to get this one up to par again...

I'm just a stickler for leaving things as they are found, more or less --- nothing more. Good luck!

?

hello ErWeSa, i took the cap apart carefully and "scavenged" all the still usable parts. Luckily, all parts made out of the main material are still ok & flexible. (Of course i made stencils of these parts, and i gladly share them with you! It is a really small size though, either a 54 or even a 53!). The cardboard inside was disintegrated already and the inner lining just fell apart by touching. My husband owns an old firemen's hat from about the same period which was eaten by moths "the other way round", meaning that most of the outside fabric is gone. I hope that this is not too much scoffed upon, but he encouraged me to merge these two caps. That's the best way to keep it authentic. The visor of the "Alter Art" is run down, but with a bit of caution i will stick with this one when putting the whole thing back together. I share the outcome when i am done!

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Schellenberg SS visor (band missing):
    Post Your Pics of Beater Visors!
    I still can't afford one of these.

?

The cap is "restored". To the ones that suggested "leave it alone", next time i will follow your advice. This was not only very difficult, but also the end result does not convince me at all.

i posted some pictures here:
    Restoring a german "crusher cap"

many greetings, Helen

Bravo, and well done.

- - ------- - -

I am the beneficiary of Helen's fine craft.

I have two caps that need the sweat bands fixed, but they are not on the European continent at the moment....

We are lucky that our colleagues from central Europe share their work with us.

?

thank you!

i was a bit reluctant to post the photos, to be honest. And please remember, FB, this was a 50€ garbage sale cap, so i could not do anything too bad to it. I need definetly more practise before i lay hands on your precious Originals. But i bet you'll be back on the continent earlier than i would ever make it to where you're fom....

Quote by Helen View Post
    thank you!

i was a bit reluctant to post the photos, to be honest. And please remember, FB, this was a 50€ garbage sale cap, so i could not do anything too bad to it. I need definetly more practise before i lay hands on your precious Originals. But i bet you'll be back on the continent earlier than i would ever make it to where you're fom....
    Thanks, retour. You are very skilled and I appreciate such skill and talent. You are always welcome to see my collection, and you could do some excellent repairs, too.
    Thanks so much and my best to your family, FB

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast