Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Question about Heer Pith Helmet

Article about: Hey folks. I recently bought a WWII OD Heer Pith Helmet. I already have one in pretty good condition. This one, on the other hand, is about as bad as it gets. It's missing the cork top thing

Default Question about Heer Pith Helmet

Hey folks. I recently bought a WWII OD Heer Pith Helmet. I already have one in pretty good condition. This one, on the other hand, is about as bad as it gets. It's missing the cork top thing, the liner and of course the the leather ribbing around the brim is falling off. The only thing it has going for it are the two original pins, the chinstrap and the shell is in good shape.

Should I just trade this thing off for something else or would it be worth trying to repair it? I have seen pith helmet toppers for sale as well as liners. I know these aren't in huge demand or anything and I paid next to nothing for it. Just wondering if it's worth the time to fix it up or just move on. A couple of pictures are below...

Your expertise is much appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about Heer Pith Helmet   Question about Heer Pith Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about Heer Pith Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question about Heer Pith Helmet

As they are not valuable, I would just leave it as is, a slice of history. If it does not appeal to you in this state, I'm sure someone would buy it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I would have to agree with Bond. Not a valuable 2nd pattern especially in it's present condition.

Restored is always just that. As my collegues have said, it is a fairly common item. Spending time and money to find the missing parts is just not worth it.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

That's what I thought. Thanks for verifying. I wonder if the pins are worth more separately than the busted up helmet. Thanks again everyone.

?

I would leave it as is, dont remove the insignia shields, you might end up breaking the securing pins, really there are only two ways to go depending on what you want to do , restore or not, personally i would attempt to find a top vent and leave it at that, liners are not that common to find, the leather brim band is what it is, original to the helmet, why change it , just to look better, its not worth it

Will do, gentlemen. Thanks again. I have a nice one that is mint aside from a bit of cracking on the brim. I'm trying to stock up to trade for some more Luftschutze items in the future. Currently, I have a nice gladiator helmet with paper liner and matching armband.

As Dave suggests, If anything, I'd only replace the vent piece.........
    Regards,

Steve.