Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.

Article about: I’m wondering if the experienced headgear collectors would be able to answer a question I have regarding the use of km type caps by the SS. Is this accepted by collectors or dismissed as a p

Default Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.

I’m wondering if the experienced headgear collectors would be able to answer a question I have regarding the use of km type caps by the SS. Is this accepted by collectors or dismissed as a postwar creation. Thank you in advance.

Cheers john.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.
    P
    Many

Probably not, although this is just my amateur comparison and evaluation.
    The KM blue is different from the feldgrau or black of the SS, and the cap band is also quite different from the SS ones. ("ribbed" vs velvet)
    Insignia and chinstraps/cords are also different. The KM used leather chinstraps for all ranks, whereas the SS used a chinstrap of a different design for enlisted and cords for officers.

This is just my superficial comparison of some of the details - I'm sure the collecting veterans have concrete evidence on the matter.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Sorry Gordon I should of been more specific. It’s the overseas side cap I was meaning, I no the typical textbook SS side cap has the false piping and more boat like shape compared to the km type cap which lacks the false piping. I have seen arguments for and against there use by the SS with several threads on the subject on WAF and examples of vet bring backs being mentioned but also those who say these caps were created to bump value. I have an overseas cap which was found in a house in Holland with hand stitched bevo skull but missing the cap eagle and it appears to have always been this way which I believe is a km type so just trying to find out if this is excepted by collectors as a period example and not a post war creation. Thanks

Cheers john

Are you referring to Coastal Artillery EM/NCO overseas caps?
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Yes sorry coastal artillery. I can find examples on WAF which are described as period but can’t seem to find much on here and wondered if anyone had any additional info on there use.

Thanks, now I understand your question.

Genuine SS EM/NCO overseas caps have the false piping, as here (circled):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.  

Here is a Coastal Artillery Schiffchen that had SS insignia added postwar by an unscrupulous seller.
    Note it lacks the false piping:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.   Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.  

Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.  

Thank you for the reference pictures. I understand the difference between the excepted SS cap having the false piping and the coastal artillery does not instead having stitching running the length of the cap. I guess many of these coastal artillery caps were made into SS caps post war but also I have found examples described as period issued and untouched. Collectors guild has a coastal artillery cap with SS insignia described as period done. So this was more my query is it accepted In some cases that these caps may also have been issued To SS troops. I’ve seen this to be a long standing argument on WAF threads with some accepting this could well be the case and others not. Thank you for your help it’s much appreciated.

Thank you Stonemint for the detailed explanation!

Here is a better view of the false piping:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question. Use of km type caps by the SS.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast