Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Rarest of the Rare?

Article about: It certainly is up there. It is the first one I can recall seeing outside of period photographs:

?

Default Re: The Rarest of the Rare?

The experts in this thread knows far more about this of course, but allow me a question; if a very early type, would this crushed look have been acceptable amongst polite company...., I use the term 'polite company' in the loosest possible way.
    In fact let me rephrase that; As the members of that corps had to be of a certain height, have perfect teeth and in general conform to a certain strict standard (at least pre-war), would a crusher cap not have been a no-no back then?
    I expect to see chrusher caps far later and as being acceptable on the Eastern Front, where appearences did not matter as much as sheer survival....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Rarest of the Rare?
    P
    Many

Quote by Scout View Post
    The experts in this thread knows far more about this of course, but allow me a question; if a very early type, would this crushed look have been acceptable amongst polite company...., I use the term 'polite company' in the loosest possible way.
    In fact let me rephrase that; As the members of that corps had to be of a certain height, have perfect teeth and in general conform to a certain strict standard (at least pre-war), would a crusher cap not have been a no-no back then?
    I expect to see chrusher caps far later and as being acceptable on the Eastern Front, where appearences did not matter as much as sheer survival....
    The answer to your question is in Maederer's page for his cap, which includes many illustrations from the era in which this cap was worn in fact. The distinction was made at the time between a field cap, and a service cap (for garrison, walking out, etc.). This cap was intended for the field, and categories of duty that were not representational.

There exist many fine pictorial works on the first years of the armed SS units, in which this cap is frequently present. My own early cap, also illustrated here, is more or less of the same make. The Hertsellungsvorschriften for the RZM expressly mention that the early cap of the Rw cut for the NSDAP was made in the identical fashion to the field cap of the old armies.

Also, if one has had no experience with military life, much weight is placed on headgear that shows one has been around for awhile, and is not a novice. Ergo, the pleasure in the worn look.The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?

?

I know not this Maederer of whom you speak.

Quote by Scout View Post
    I know not this Maederer of whom you speak.
    Brian Maederer, Military Collectables....look him up. And, Mr. Mint provided the link for you.....above.

He is the dealer with this cap. I have no commercial interest in this enterprise.

?

Thanks

Quote by Scout View Post
    Hello Scout-
    Much of the early headgear worn by various organizations was modeled after that worn by the Imperial Army in WW I. You are mistaken to assume that the physical height issue was a general requirement of the SS. This applied only to members of Hitler's bodyguard unit, the LSSAH. The cloth visor is only found in early 1930's era hats. The leather visor, which was discontinued in 1937, is found with more frequency.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Ohh, and I fully grasp the notion of letting your headgear signal your status as an old hand and the pride these fighters must have taken in their chrushers. Look at Peiper.

It is more a thing of the past though; As having been to Iraq and two tours the hell hole that is Afghanistan (and losing a friend each time), Im sorry to report that not much pride can be taken in a steel pot and a droopy shapeless boonie hat.

With the caveat, that these boonie hats were still 'customized' by some (not many) to a certain extent. For example, I had our 'saddlemaker' (sorry, but I was there with Dragoons) take off a third of the brim all the way around, as I found the brim to big, unmanageble and floppy. Most didnt bother.

Putting self-bought stuff on your rifles was far more important. But that became a big problem, as all the extra stuff sometimes had a negative influence on the soldiers ability to fulfill his task hence this was also stamped upon HARD at some point a while ago.

In short; in 50 degrees celscius in the shade, not many bother about pride in headwear, as people wants to wear as little as possible. If allowed, soldiers would have run around in their underwear. Headgear be damned.

Ohhhh, sunglasses is a big thing. Oakleys rule the desert....but not headwear. Its worn but just not to fry - not to look good.

?

As an addendum to the above can be mentioned; not even fatigues can be used by 'the old hands' to set them apart.
    In action or just getting in and out, in and out of cramped armoured vehicles, fatigues are often torn.
    In action they were ripped and often disabled vehicles spilled diesel fuel or fuel canisters were clumsily handled.
    In short, few wore faded 'lad hands' fatigues, as new ones were issued at a record pace ... that is until economical constraints made the hinterland mend and wash used uniforms, which then had the added effect of making sure noone were able to tell a bloke just landed from an old desert hand.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The answer to your question is in Maederer's page for his cap, which includes many illustrations from the era in which this cap was worn in fact. The distinction was made at the time between a field cap, and a service cap (for garrison, walking out, etc.). This cap was intended for the field, and categories of duty that were not representational.

There exist many fine pictorial works on the first years of the armed SS units, in which this cap is frequently present. My own early cap, also illustrated here, is more or less of the same make. The Hertsellungsvorschriften for the RZM expressly mention that the early cap of the Rw cut for the NSDAP was made in the identical fashion to the field cap of the old armies.

Also, if one has had no experience with military life, much weight is placed on headgear that shows one has been around for awhile, and is not a novice. Ergo, the pleasure in the worn look.The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?
    Field cap was inteded use. Got it. That was also my perception.

F.B., I know you are the expert on SS caps,tunics and don't like to give values.Do you think that in that shape or whatever that a price of $32,500 is what this Maederer is asking is reality??This dealer has incredible values on all his items and i wont get into that with anyone as there will be differences of opinions as usual.I know that 100% SS original material is getting top the point of being far out of rearch of 90% or more of collectors.Just asking and if you wish not to venture a price all well and good.Glad to see that guy who got on you for posting your great photos did not bother you one bit.goodbuys

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast