MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Rarest of the Rare?

Article about: It certainly is up there. It is the first one I can recall seeing outside of period photographs:

Default Re: The Rarest of the Rare?

thanks for the account of the uniform as seen in contemporary warfare. Many of these early SS men had combat experience, also, which was not unlike your own in its way, save mostly in Europe. That is, the officers in the early armed SS units had combat experience in the '14-'18 war, while some did not, of course.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Rarest of the Rare?
    P
    Many

The Rarest of the Rare?
    Quote by goodbuys View Post
    F.B., I know you are the expert on SS caps,tunics and don't like to give values.Do you think that in that shape or whatever that a price of $32,500 is what this Maederer is asking is reality??This dealer has incredible values on all his items and i wont get into that with anyone as there will be differences of opinions as usual.I know that 100% SS original material is getting top the point of being far out of rearch of 90% or more of collectors.Just asking and if you wish not to venture a price all well and good.Glad to see that guy who got on you for posting your great photos did not bother you one bit.goodbuys
    I have no idea of the real price. Bob Coleman goes to the shows and knows their inner workings, which I do not. I more or less know what the cap cost when it was made, though, which you can see in the price lists.The Rarest of the Rare?Attachment 319782

The price of this item is not in my enclosures, however. I imagine it was less than five marks.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-14-2012 at 06:01 PM.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Hello Scout-
    Much of the early headgear worn by various organizations was modeled after that worn by the Imperial Army in WW I. You are mistaken to assume that the physical height issue was a general requirement of the SS. This applied only to members of Hitler's bodyguard unit, the LSSAH. The cloth visor is only found in early 1930's era hats. The leather visor, which was discontinued in 1937, is found with more frequency.
    Thanks for info, Bob. You learn somehting new every day; I thought the height requirements (amongst other stricts admission demands) pertained to all the SS for a brief while, before the war and before the severity of the situation were made clear to the Germans and they desperately embraced even the most unlikely recruits.
    To think of the ideological idea behind the regime at the beginning and then later seeing the dregs of soceity and the camps serving under (the most likey loopy) Dirlewanger, Handschar, RONA, Skanderbeg etc.
    Quite a contrast to the ideological and racially 'pure' ideas behind it all.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    thanks for the account of the uniform as seen in contemporary warfare. Many of these early SS men had combat experience, also, which was not unlike your own in its way, save mostly in Europe. That is, the officers in the early armed SS units had combat experience in the '14-'18 war, while some did not, of course.
    Right. Im sure many also took pride in wearing their WWI medals (not least EKs) during the years before WWII to signal their status as fighters and old hands from the 'Big War.'

The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?
    Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Hello Scout-
    Much of the early headgear worn by various organizations was modeled after that worn by the Imperial Army in WW I. You are mistaken to assume that the physical height issue was a general requirement of the SS. This applied only to members of Hitler's bodyguard unit, the LSSAH. The cloth visor is only found in early 1930's era hats. The leather visor, which was discontinued in 1937, is found with more frequency.
    The leather peak to which reference is made above as found on many caps made in the years 1933 through about 1937 or so. These are regular service caps of early date and make. And they are bargains compared to this officer's field cap.The Rarest of the Rare?
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-14-2012 at 07:11 PM.

The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?The prototype field cap in the Rw introduced at the beginning of the 1920s. However, other field caps existed prior to this item in the old armies.

?

I know it's vulgar taking about prices but here's my take on it.

An SS Officers black service cap is going to cost around $12k. I would say that this cloth peaked cap is 100 times rarer, possibly more than that.
    You do the math as they say in the good old US of A!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I know it's vulgar taking about prices but here's my take on it.

An SS Officers black service cap is going to cost around $12k. I would say that this cloth peaked cap is 100 times rarer, possibly more than that.
    You do the math as they say in the good old US of A!

The black SS officer's cap is actually more expensive in real life. The field cap is very rare; Maederer and his allies are surely no chumps in the U.S. and world market; the field cap fetish is a noteworthy feature of this odd cosmos; I am sure glad I got whatever caps I own at modest prices.

However, I have no real idea what transpires between principals and others.

?

Indeed.

All I know is that I would snap it up if I were some ludicrously paid hedge fund manager.
    In my experience, such items rarely make it to the open market.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Indeed.

All I know is that I would snap it up if I were some ludicrously paid hedge fund manager.
    I guess they have other problems at the moment with their collapsing bonuses.

The piece is impressive, but probably too expensive to re sell in five years or ten years. Maybe not. In any case, I am glad you see its virtues, as do I. The piece is interesting and significant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast