Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...

Article about: This is a 50th anniversary company overview for the Hamburg firm of Willy Sprinfeil that dates to 1951 (the company made all types of soft headgear during the TR). If there is any interest,

The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...Might I note what is significant here is the way in which the Wagner personage details the levels of quality in the respective models of caps, and that these models had names, more or less unknown heretofore. I.e. Qualitaet K, L, M, N etc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...
    P
    Many

I hope others "jump in" and add also some material.
    There must be such material in your hands, I am sure.

Show it, as you cannot hatch it!

As I am personally not much interested in SS, I eventually could show
    a price-list with images from November 1, 1940 from the Kleiderkasse
    der Schutzstaffel der SS
    . I need some time for that as it is 29 pages
    and I have to scan them (from a copy). This material I will give stamps
    with my name. This is something for next week or so, as in between of
    my postings here I still need time to write my volume 6 for the headgear-
    series for Bender Publishing.

Thanks Adrian for making this thread "sticky"!

We did put some material here, but the additions by Wim Saris have elevated us to new, golden heights.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth...nfabrik-14219/

Not just about headgear, but just some tip off how to learn about uniforms and insignia.
    For those who are not familiar with this, some images are shown. I have ten thousands
    (maybe even ten times that much) of such pages in my archive and so a random choice
    of some material is included.

It is my personal opinion that the elementary knowledge of collecting must be rooted in:

a) knowing the correct German expression for any sort of item;

The page is from a 1935 Woldemar Wimmer-catalogue with many cloth insignia and
    other items.

b) knowing about uniform-regulations (especially from the organizations and period one collects).
    Shown a front-page for TeNo from 1940 and two pages about justice uniforms;

The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come... The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...

c) knowledge of what is published in old catalogues, leaflets and price-lists of any kind (as there
    often information is given about materials the subject was manufactured from or its style) and
    learn from advertisements;

The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come... The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...

1937 is a catalogue from Wilhelm Deumer; at right from Friedrich Linden from 1939.

devices for walking-sticks from Noelle & Hueck from about 1926; page from a 1929
    catalogue from Heine.

SS-Kleiderkasse from 1940 and a page from a catalogue with car-flags from about 1940.
    The three advertisements at the end of the thread are from July 1933 and March 1934.

d) at least having seen colored uniform- and insignia plates;

Luftwaffe plate-part and a part from a colored plate from the Waffen-SS from 1940.
    The ranking system for political leaders is from 1935.

e) and consult uniform-booklets from the old days.

Not an easy task, but with perseverance things can be found. I know that most of the collectors
    not ever having seen a complete uniform-regulation, not even knowing the name for it (and that
    is a must to locate it). Further it is my opinion one largely can suffice with copies, as this is what
    most collectors can afford (this is what I did through the years, since the early 1970’s).

The originals are often very high priced (this has always been) and what is even annoying is they
    are very hard to find. Note that masses of material can be found in archives, especially in Germany.
    It is fun to find out where what is located!

Sorry: By accident I have deleted the text from an earlier post of mine. Do not know what happened,
    but it was about the thread Muetzenfabrik, which I think it peters out and to much was shown,
    which did not have to do with the TR-period. Further I answered the last post. Looking for this material,
    as shown now, I started with since the early 1970's. It took a long way and what I have in my files is just
    a tiny bit of information. Many questions I have will never be solved during my lifetime!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...   The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...  

Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 03-15-2014 at 06:43 PM.

It is a pity I cannot show the big colored plates. They are much too big for my scanner
    (some are 0.80 mtr x 1.20 mtr), not even as when they are smaller as most often cut in 2
    or even 10 parts (due to their size). The eastern German archive that had them was not
    able to copy them in one by themselves. Sometimes not even one plate in two parts! I
    got them in late 1990 or early 1991 (this I can't remember). I have asked later if it was
    possible to give me larger copies. In fact most of the plates had disappeared in the hectic
    years after "die Wende" (the combining of western and eastern Germany). Most people I
    knew (merely being most kind females) in various of the former eastern Germany were
    sacked a few years later, as being suspected persons (Stasi).
    I had an extemely good contact with some of them. With regularity I did send gifts (parfum).
    The new ones were most often not so kind and understandable to matters of the TR. At least
    40% from my archived material came from former east-German archives between 1990 and
    1993 or so. Wished I had had more money in those days, as all was delivered smoothly and
    without asking any questions why I needed the material. I bought the "Mitteilungsblatt der RZM"
    in about early 1991. At least what they had. Did not buy then the "Handbuch der RZM", while
    I did not consider in those days I needed all those numbers and adresses. This still I do regret
    (now I have it thanks to Jo)!

The plates did cost me quite some money as normally they could not have handed over
    the colored plates, as they did not have the possibilities themselves. They went elsewhere
    for me to get the colored copies (it are no scans).

And I am no good with photographing and it would be a hell of a job to make out of the
    pieces one good plate. I have about twenty of them with uniforms from army and airforce,
    Waffen-SS, TeNo, police, political organizations except Pol.Leaders and Werkschar/DAF
    and No NSFK, army-flags, RAD and pol.leaders ranking system.

Much orders and announcements were published in special papers, known as Verordnungsblatt,
    Amtliches Nachrichtenblatt or whatever. I think it might be of interest to show some letterheads
    for such, starting with the one or the other for political organizations. There were more changes
    for the letterheads (then I will show), due to the changing for the titles and especially the type of letters.

So now and then I will add some to this thread, when I have time to have a look in my files (as I do
    have many more, also for state organizations or whatever). I think much of this information will interest
    and gives so an idea where to find information (other then in books).
    The start is the "Verordnungsblatt der Reichsleitung der NSDAP" (the titles for the letterheads tell):

For the Deutsche Arbeitsfront and Werkscharen der DAF:

For the students-organization:

For the political females. Note the many changes for the title within a quite
    short period of time:

As soon as when finding time to continue you will automatically see.

ENJOY!!

Continuation political organizations:

SA der NSDAP:

NSKK:

(Allgemeine) SS:

Hitler-jugend:

Reichsarbeitsdienst:
    The page is as shown in volume 5 for the series "Headgear of Hitler's Germany":

NSFK:
    This periodical was the most hard to find, after 35 years I got it. Just have a few pages:

Reichszeugmeisterei:

This was so far I can show about political. Maybe I continue with the Armed Forces,
    as army, airforce, navy and Waffen-SS.

This is a 50th anniversary company overview for the Hamburg firm of Willy Sprinfeil that dates to 1951 (the company made all types of soft headgear during the TR).

If there is any interest, I can scan the pages (most are photographs of each department within the company--not much text).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Now some letterheads for Armed Forces information.

The name for who it published changed with regularity, especially with the army.
    So you can find also Reichswehrministerium (Wehramt), Ministeramt, Wehrmachtamt,
    Reichskriegesministerium, Oberkommando des Heeres.
    Further the army had three version at a later dte, part A, part B and part C.

Start is the Heer (army):

another one for the army:

Luftwaffe (airforce):

another one for the airforce:

Marine (navy):

another one for the navy:

In this was much information to be found about names for tallies. I did not
    further check them when the word for the tally did change into: Kriegsmarine.

Waffen-SS:

From all I showed I have information about uniforms and insignia. I di not have
    them complete, as this would have cost me too much and I would not know
    where I could "stock" them in my appartment.

One day I will come (I hope) with material for state and other organizations.
    This however is a hell of a job, due to the many of such regulations. Can take
    weeks.

Bringing this old thread back up to the top--it discusses the "Klappmuetze"(!)
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3