Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Schirmmutze regular dimensions

Article about: Hi Please read the above posts again. we have given you all the info you need to make a model. Every cap band on the srmy caps I own for ww2 are 4.5cm. cheers Tony

Default Schirmmutze regular dimensions

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, but I hope someone would help.

Well, I have an idea of making the schirmmutze replica by myself. It's difficult and needs some skills, but I will try. Also, after finding out the next questions, the 3d models and patterns of the hats would be built.

Here we go:

1. What was the width of the hat band (according army regulations)?
    2. What was the the width of the piping?
    3. The width of the "feldgrau" lower band?
    4. Material for the officers/generals chin cord: was it always made of metal gimp or can be made of some cloth cords?
    5. Were there some differences in the hat band width between Wehrmacht/SS/Luftwaffe?
    Schirmmutze regular dimensions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schirmmutze regular dimensions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Schirmmutze regular dimensions

Schirmmutze regular dimensionsSchirmmutze regular dimensionsThe answer to your query is in the Herstellungsvorschriften d RZM and is easily had from German booksellers in a reprint. The work, die Praxis der Muetzenmacherei, also contains such data.

Thanks! But I'm not from Germany, and have no idea how can I get that great books. Maybe someone know the answers? Or the regulations can be found on the net?

P.S. Start thinking that the dimensions are "classified" as top secret.

No, the dimensions are surely not top secret. The dimensions vary with the size of the cap. The Herstellungsvorschriften book is easy to get with Amazon.de.

Ok, if you remember, tell the height of the cap band, please Is it possible that the band height vary on the size? It is strange Some people have told me that the height of the band was 45 mm. But I need some printed proof.

Field caps have a more narrow cap band than service caps..in some cases.

?

Quote by Bogdan Tereshchenko View Post
    Some people have told me that the height of the band was 45 mm. But I need some printed proof.
    45mm is about right for most service caps, not sure why you need printed proof though? Are you submitting your creation to the RZM?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Schirmmutze regular dimensions  

They may take some time to get back to you...

The dimensions are easy to find in english language books such as uniforms and traditions and also all the cap sizes from 1871 to 1945 will be in an exciting new publication by me (shameless plug...get in early before both copies are sold)

the cap band accepted width is as ben says 45mm And piping around 3mm but can vary by manufacturer

the cap height from 1934 ish onwards was around 11.8cm and the peak 4.5cm at its widest point on service caps.
    Also fashion of the time with the saddle shape being popular meant that cap height on private purchase caps vary as well. The higher the cap the prounced the shape......manufacturers also had there own distinctive shapes as well.

good luck with your project

cheers

tony

Well, by printed proof I meant some basic data for being able to start modeling the cap. There are a lot of photos and books with documented colors and materials, but near zero info on the measurements. And according the photos the band height always differ (I used to measure it by the oak leaves). It is silly to start the job without the necessary info, isn't it?

For example in the USSR the cap bands height was different for officers (52 mm) and for soldiers (45 mm), but the height was the same among different cap sizes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast