Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Should this hat be restored or not?

Article about: FB you are a real black devil guy !

Default Re: Should this hat be restored or not?

The insignia alone are really quite valuable. However, the cap should not be pulled apart, if that is the option. An expert restoration is appropriate, I think, especially in the skilled and capable hands of Mr. Ben. If the velvet has not been ravaged by the rodents, then the task is easier.

There is little turning back the hands of time easily, that's for sure. My beef is with the devastation that collectors do to caps, though. I guess the rodents have their own reasons.Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Should this hat be restored or not?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Should this hat be restored or not?
    P
    Many

It would really be a pity to see this get turned into a "parts hat" when a lot of people, including myself, would appreciate it for exactly what it is: a rough, but original, and beautiful SS visor. If one simply couldn't live with the cap the way it is now, then I would certainly hope that he or she would delicately restore it before they destroy it. Don't kick a beautiful cap when it's down...

?

I understand what OBK is saying, but due to the periods that we are dealing with, surely its a kind of duty that we as collectors try to preserve history and in my eyes this includes any associated items, i know its not the done thing to mess about with original items but in this case i think it can only be for the good, in the poor state that rodents have left this cap it will continue to deteriorate until the only redeeming features will be the insignia and the peak and the chin cord, it will automatically become a parts piece, therefore i think that intervention now and a good restorative repair will help to preserve the overall look and provided that this is reflected in the description and the price i would say it should be done without delay, provided that Ben deems this as a viable and obtainable result and he feels happy in doing so. It may well result in that this cap will reflect a lower price when selling, but it also means that someone who is looking for an original cap will be able to afford it and as a starter piece, despite the restoration.

?

I see nothing wrong with honest restoration. It is done in all of the major museums around the world. Just keep a record of what you do to it, the materials used and if possible photos of work as you progress. Then you are restoring it as any reputable museum would. No harm, No foul.
    The value will not be that of a completly original cap BUT you have saved a rare item that can be enjoyed for what it is.
    SteveR

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I see nothing wrong with honest restoration. It is done in all of the major museums around the world. Just keep a record of what you do to it, the materials used and if possible photos of work as you progress. Then you are restoring it as any reputable museum would. No harm, No foul.
    The value will not be that of a completly original cap BUT you have saved a rare item that can be enjoyed for what it is.
    SteveR
    Eloquently put. Slightly off topic but in a similar vein, take a look at the increasing amount of rare warbirds that are steadily returning to the air or as a static museum restorations for the enjoyment of people around the world.

Many of these contain only a certain amount of the original airframe, often as little as 10% or less. If they were not restored using new materials and expertise in a sympathetic way, but left as partial remains or a pile of random rusty bits, thats not going to enthuse anyone or give enjoyment to casual spectator or dedicated student alike. There is a case for leaving as is, but as Steve says, what's wrong with an honest restoration?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

If it were mine, I would do my best to keep it preserved exactly the way it is. Like I said, to each his own, so whoever the future owner will be can do as he wishes but I really don't want to see it taken apart.

Hi Ben

Why not restore it ?

Some TLC always goes a long way.

Tony

?

Thanks for the comments guys. It's been interesting to read your thoughts on the subject.

Unfortunately, I heard today that the cap has already been sold.

Great Ben, interesting thread...I have a rare very late erel, Pz Grenadier officer cap in same condition...
    I would like restored my cap but lot of work with...the wool is a tricot like this black cap...

a second life for that ss cap will be GREAT...

Quote by S.Vestae View Post
    Great Ben, interesting thread...I have a rare very late erel, Pz Grenadier officer cap in same condition...
    I would like restored my cap but lot of work with...the wool is a tricot like this black cap...

a second life for that ss cap will be GREAT...
    The cap cover of the Mueller cap in question is not tricot,but the semi doeskin, kind of melton cloth typical of these Sonderanfertigung caps.Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast