Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Some M-43 caps

Article about: I am having fun! I just learned how to upload pics on this forum, something I have avoided learning forever. There was no need for the hesitation,because once I read the tutorials, it was al

?

Default Re: Some M-43 caps

Here are some more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some M-43 caps   Some M-43 caps  

Some M-43 caps   Some M-43 caps  

Some M-43 caps  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some M-43 caps
    P
    Many

?

Hello Manny,

Hopefully the pics will show what you wanted to see. The roll of material goes to the underside front of the bill and not the topside.
    I have replaced the insignia as none came with it, you can see some ghosting where the originals were.
    The buttons have nothing on the back and they are sewn individually
    unlike some that have the thread continue from one button to the next.
    The bill shows the nice little tan/white thread that was put in the wool blend as filler. It has some showing overall, yet, it's nice to see a nice long piece or two. It seems the more it wears, the more apparent they become.
    The cardboard bill underside has the nice stitching that most like to see...not all caps have it and not all have it set in so far.

I hope this has been what you wanted to see and the pics will be self explanatory.
    Thank you.

?

Here are some pics of a Kornacker
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some M-43 caps   Some M-43 caps  

Some M-43 caps  
    Attached Images Attached Images Some M-43 caps 

?

Here are a couple more of the Kornacker.

It is a very thin wool and has an old field repair to the wearer's left side flap and side. There are no take-down loops and no size stamp.
    The cardboard bill is quite long and does not have any stitching on the underside. There is a slight roll of material to the upperside of the bill front edge, which has been pulled forward at the extreme front due to wear. No insignia is present and the remaining threads do a nice fuse-like burn. It seems to be a 57-58.

?

On the buttons, you may notice one small detail. The paint has chipped away, leaving a base metal color, only. It did not leave a residue of dirt or darkness in the pebbled finish in these original buttons, sewn to an original cap.
    They were originally enamel painted. where the paint chipped away, there was the base. Mind you look for those who would rub dirt into the pebbled surface to make it look old.
    It flaked off. These buttons were put on a card and enameled,unprimed. They would go frosty with age if unmolested.

?

Hey Manny, here's a few more pics of a cap worn during the Italian campaign. It was found stuffed in a chimney. It's dirty and worn, yet
    it's still a fun cap. It's size only marked,56, nothing else.
    Attached Images Attached Images Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps 

?

Here are some more of the cap. The bill has been so worn it can bend in any shape and not crack. It has the seam of extra material rolled to the top outer edge as most like to see and feel. You will notice many "filler threads" showing on this cap. I attribute that to the elements that the nap has worn so much. However, where the nap has been protected, it appears the wool was so/so to begin with. Whenever I see a piece of small red thread mixed in, I am delighted as everything was ground up and tossed in the mix, even old flags and banners. I especially like to see this on panzer caps and black SS field caps. It doesn't have to be much and is something to look for, yet it gives me a very good feeling when I see it there.
    The twill lining is excessively dirty and the pulldown tabs match it,material-wise. It is one of my favorite, since the cut is more or less similar to a gebrigsjaeger. It has no horse-tail to stiffen the peak and the insignia is trapezoid , not "T". however it does look very good on a display head and is what you will notice in wear on many deathcards. It just talks to you, been there, done that, got the "T"-shirt.

Once again, I just can't express adequately how much fun I am having here just being able to post pics. To which I can only thank the generous tutorials and also the generosity of those who share so many wonderful things.

I have had things boxed up for so long, that I had near forgotten about some of them. I have collected since the 1970's and have had a lot come and go through my hands. I have met many vets and heard so many stories of those who WERE there. Some are like confessionals, where you just listen and don't push. Others are born of friendships. So many of my friends are passing on due to pancreatic cancer. They were good buddies and I miss going over to their houses and just sitting on the couch visiting.

Everytime I think of one of them, I can remember some stories.
    I'll share the ones about Bob Rodman sometimes, A big ole Marine Pilot with a Wally Walrus mustache. Flew for Air America as well, movie stunt work,Tora,Tora,Tora, Mad Mad Mad world, Baa Baa Black Sheep TV series. And Joe Dietz, a Marine who was in the Auchen valley, Paul Cook, a rope dangler when they were first trying to land men on the canopy in Nam ,later, a door gunner 82nd airborne. And the guy who was a paratrooper who told me when the landed on the ground, they were assigned to some motorized unit and how he took Patton across the Rhine, the first time.

If it was all just hooey, then you can slap their face and tell them that, I wasn't about to. These men are my Heros.

Thanks very much to all who make this a most wonderful forum
    and to all who work to make it come together, in creation and maintainence.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some M-43 caps  
    Attached Images Attached Images Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps  Some M-43 caps 

Love that reworked wool. I have shown just the same detail in the past on a Luftwaffe Einheitsfeldmutze which I own. Here is the pic again. Modern fake wool just does not exhibit these kind of traits.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some M-43 caps  

?

Bless you Sir, and then some,

Thank you for that fine detailed close-up of original wartime material. It does my heart good to see it.

What a fine site you have made here, and you being quite an informed individual who has a generous touch, coupled with wisdom and foresight.
    To make something larger than yourself would be a scary thing for most.
    I thank you for your extreme knowledge and generosity, not to crush us small ones, of which the world is made.

Thank you sir,.. I shall then go about digging in my old boxes....
    Last edited by jws54; 07-05-2010 at 08:30 AM.

?

Nice caps!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast