Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soutache query

Article about: Thai belongs to a friend of mine. I have not seen a soutache like this before. I don't like it, but then again I'm not really knowledgeable on headwear. Opinions most welcome. Thank you. Tom

Default Soutache query

Thai belongs to a friend of mine. I have not seen a soutache like this before.
    I don't like it, but then again I'm not really knowledgeable on headwear. Opinions most welcome.
    Thank you.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soutache query  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soutache query
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Soutache query

It's not typical but not out of the question either. Why dont you like it?

Well Ben, as I said, I'm not at all clued up on caps, etc. I looked on the net for images of different caps and each one had the soutache as one normally sees.
    I thought that the twisted cord was a bit of an odd choice of material. I am obviously incorrect. Thanks for your input.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images Soutache query 

?

I'm not an expert on soutache either but yes, the Trop cap above has the type normaly seen. However, the Officers sidecap is private purchase as all of them were unless upgraded and so I would suggest that different materials for the soutache is not out of the question.

Better pics would help though!

You see, I didn't even know that Ben. Thanks . Unfortunately I was only sent the one photo.

Tom

?

Hello Tom,

Although not a standard soutache, the one that you have shown certainly can't be discounted as not being a period application.
    As Ben has mentioned, private purchase caps for officers did sometimes utilise non-standard materials due to availability; certainly if produced in Occupied Territories. I actually like the look of the soutache and application so would be inclined to believe it to be period applied from the tailor or added by a company tailor if the cap were purchased without a soutache.

Mark

Thanks Mark. My friend's happy to hear it's been passed as good.

Tom

Quote by Mark G View Post
    Hello Tom,

Although not a standard soutache, the one that you have shown certainly can't be discounted as not being a period application.
    As Ben has mentioned, private purchase caps for officers did sometimes utilise non-standard materials due to availability; certainly if produced in Occupied Territories. I actually like the look of the soutache and application so would be inclined to believe it to be period applied from the tailor or added by a company tailor if the cap were purchased without a soutache.

Mark
    Much like the private purchase caps with soutaches that "wrap under" the edge instead of tucking in before the edge.
    These polarise opinion also but many DO believe all is kosher with them!
    Dan

?

Hello Dan,
    There is much photographic evidence of this application but still some collectors just do not believe.
    Mind you, any out of the ordinary application is a red flag the needs to be looked at with the individual cap judged accordingly. We can't just blanket okay every item with an unusual feature because one or two have been seen with period applications.

Mark

Having abandon TR collecting 20 years ago, but used to have a sizable luft collection, not infrequently twisted soutache and coller tresses turned up on a lot of senior NCO and junior officers uniform items. I had the chance to meet John Angolia not long after V 4 of his series came out and I asked him about this. He indicated it was common practice for senior NCO's and junior officers who were promoted from the ranks to 'dress' themselves up with higher quality piping at the tailors, a cheap but fashionable distinction and upgrade for material that didn't snag and unravel as much as standard material. It was he observed a common practice on ground troops too, Infantry and armoured troops etc. Not so much Navy. The problem is that it is a very fine detail that is hard to pick up from pictures so it is thought to be by collectors 'erroneous' or suspect because 'they've never seen it before'. The fallen eagle has a Luft NCO's tunic right now that demonstrates this feature http://www.falleneagle.com/viewphoto...h=8841&phqu=10 there is a frightening and tedious tendency for collectors to want to 'standardize' their expectations and impose them on everything they see based on some collectors picture book that becomes a bible because someone says they are expert. Very few TR experts rely on primary source material FB here is an exception, far too much 'emotion' and not much impiricism. Too often we forget that many of these things were throw away items mass produced (even the 'rare' items) by a vast industrial network in a country busy losing a war. Young guys who were more or less statistically days away from death didn't worry too much about dress regulations down to the 10th decimal point. All you have to do is look at pictures in the 'they never did that' thread, to underscore that. The cap above is propably fine, looks like Army cavalry piping to me. Anyway, always lots to learn.