Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS early cap
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS early cap

I've tried to used un-used visors to repair caps in the past, since i do it by hand ( no machine sewing if i can help it ), It takes me longer as i have to use a template, that i made years ago , and pre-punch the holes where a machine would have sewn it in place with heavy duty machine needles, and since i do it all by hand it takes longer.

I can do it, it just takes more time, as i do it right, and dont do a rush crappy job.

Brian

?

Did you try to use a machine to stitch them back?
    Even this cap needs to be restored with a handstitched visor, due of it has a hand attached sweatband, and by that way visor must be attached by hand too.
    You are joking being spent a week for just a visor
    To me it takes a couple of hours
    Regards,
    Dimas

NO, the last cap i did it took me about a week to finish, it was for a buddy, Please keep inmind i did noi devote 8 hours a day to it.

I work around the original lining, the leather sweat band, I dont remove anything original to it, i take my time and work with it by hand, as i dont have a sewing machine that can get into the real small tight places on these caps on the inside outer edges.

Some of the places on the cap are not very easy to get to, while not removing anything from the cap.

So, Yes i took my time on the last one i did.

You say it would take you a couple of hours, then i would like to see your speedy job, and the meticulous work you would do.

Would you rather me do a fast job, and it not be done correctly, and look really good, or a fast job that looks like a hack did it.

Brian

Thanks

It would depend on how of the original fabric they cut away, when they cut off the bill, that would be the biggest problem, that i could think of.

The more they cut away, the less that the bill could be sewn onto.

Brian

If it was fixed, as Brian suggests he can do, it would then be a fine cap
    for any collection and it's value increased a heck of a lot !

Regards, Steve.

Anything can re-paired or fixed, Its just with something as valuable, i would take my take, and not rush into it, and make sure it was done correctly, with original threads, and the original bill, and leather inside, to make it look perfect.

I would never do a rush a job on something like that.

If you look i have tunics on here that i have restored, and hand sewn them also.

On a SA tunic I'm doing right now, i could not find the correct single SA shoulder board for it, so i made one up for it, i did the stitching on that one all by hand, and stitched in the silver tress on the cuffs also.

I also used original threads, and repaired where the belt hooks were coming out.

This is a SA tunic that will stay with me in my collection.

If you would like i can post pics.

Brian

?

Really I didn't think that restored job must be made wth original SS RZM thread, that is just a kind of glamour to be sure all made as must be. But to me the "Vierfach" cotton thread is right to restore the items. There some kind of different work, could made: restore to looks-like, or restoring as must be...
    Some time the "must be" restoring needs to fully replace damaged detail to hide the restoration, some of the collectors like to get this work. That is more expensive, due it needs donor for details, and need more specified work, due of imitation of the machine stitching with just a mashine needle and two of the threads from both sides takes a lot of the time . Burt sometimes anougth to make a small and visible repair. But I prefer for my collection untouched and unrestored condition items.
    Here is "looks like" restoring:
    Panzer Schirmmuetze restoring
    Regards,
    Dimas

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Really I didn't think that restored job must be made wth original SS RZM thread, that is just a kind of glamour to be sure all made as must be. But to me the "Vierfach" cotton thread is right to restore the items. There some kind of different work, could made: restore to looks-like, or restoring as must be...
    Some time the "must be" restoring needs to fully replace damaged detail to hide the restoration, some of the collectors like to get this work. That is more expensive, due it needs donor for details, and need more specified work, due of imitation of the machine stitching with just a mashine needle and two of the threads from both sides takes a lot of the time . Burt sometimes anougth to make a small and visible repair. But I prefer for my collection untouched and unrestored condition items.
    Here is "looks like" restoring:
    Panzer Schirmmuetze restoring
    Thats some real nice work, just what i would do, as i have different needles, for different jobs.

I like the cross stitching job you did on it.

I only mention the use of original threads, as some people would prefer the use of original period items as possible.

Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast