Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

SS Enlisted man / NCO visor

Article about: Good afternoon to all I would like your opinion on the following piece please : The sweatband is replaced ... can't make an opinion about the insignas ... Many thanks in advance Best Regards

Default SS Enlisted man / NCO visor

Good afternoon to all

I would like your opinion on the following piece please :

The sweatband is replaced ... can't make an opinion about the insignas ...

Many thanks in advance

Best Regards

K.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Enlisted man / NCO visor
    P
    Many

Here is a close up of the TK

Regards

K.

Hello Kurt, I hope I'm wrong but I don't like it. The trikot material is close but not period as it looks to have a wider/different groove pattern to me. The piping looks a bit too big, the saddle/shape seems incorrect, the sweatshield looks plastic, and visor itself looks to big/large giving the cap a rather unrefined look. I think the eagle has casting flaws and the skull is postwar copy. Also to me the rzm tag and SS runes under visor are faked. It's a good try but the quality just isn't there imo. Best regards. Compare to CG example or one of FB s many fine examples, it just doesn't measure up to me. Best regards.

Brian

The Collector's Guild
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 10-14-2017 at 05:33 PM.

I do hate to waffle back and forth but I'd rather come to a definitive answer than to be correct. I ve had some more time to further search information pertaining to this cap. Undoubtedly it has had some restoration done to it, as you noted the replaced sweatband and you half to wonder why by whom and what else could of been done? As in my first post I still am not a fan of the saddle of the cap, but this could be a result of the restoration. However the materials and construction are closer than I first thought. Also I found a cap posted previously by FB with eerily strange similarities which he deemed real. IMO the skull and eagle are still suspect, I think the Overhoff skull lacks detail especially the left eye socket and nostril area; the eagle has decent detail but has small dimple like imperfections and a rough rather unfinished edge to the upper left side of the head and wing area. Some comparable images for discussion and a bump for the thread. Best regards.

Brian

OP Trikot material (TOP) And sample image from pinned cap materials thread (BOTTOM) also image of mentioned rough edges on cap eagle.

SS Enlisted man / NCO visorSS Enlisted man / NCO visor

Salty cap posted by FB
    SS Enlisted man / NCO visorSS Enlisted man / NCO visorSS Enlisted man / NCO visor

Cap skull vs original

Interior of OP cap vs an original from attached FB thread (not the salty one)

Clemens Wagner cap from FB original post

schwarze SS Tuchmuetze, Clemens Wagner, aus dem Osten!
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 10-15-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Thank you so very much Brian for these informations and the time you took...

THe sweatband was the obvious one here ... The cap itself looked good IMO .... The insignas on the other hand are not "textbook" but since we can't be sure of anything in this hobby ... That's what makes the "salt" of it !!!

I'll search again .

Best Regards

K.

No worries Kurt. I like to research, like I said I d just like to come to conclusive answer for you. I half to agree with you the cap after much debate with myself is IMO period with an amateurish restoration, who can say when it was done? The insignia would be much easier to discern real or not with pictures of the reverse, but not worth the risk taking them off, other more experienced collectors like Sid may be able to tell just by looking at the obverse. I still am leaning heavily towards above average copies. The eagle looks similar to a Ferdinand Wagner design with that squatty head, but the more I look at your cap eagle the more concerns I have, the swas and wreath is particularly lacking quality detail, and that unfinished edge is still a concern. The skull is obviously a Overhoff design but I've stated my observations/concerns previously. Here's a Wagner eagle posted by Ade for comparison but I'm not 100 percent certain that's the manufacturer.

Brian

SS Enlisted man / NCO visorSS Enlisted man / NCO visorSS Enlisted man / NCO visorSS Enlisted man / NCO visor

SS Cap eagle 475/39