Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe Form

Article about: viz: Item 716 on the price list ca. 1934

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    These photographs also illustrate the wear of improvised/unofficial uniforms (Drillich suits and what appear to be police greatcoats combined with various types of black headgear or full black uniforms) prior to the introduction of the more practical earth-brown uniforms which, in turn, would soon give way to field grey ones.

They also show the improvised nature of the camp itself at this early stage, with the former factory buildings recognizable. (Eicke would write about his men being billeted "in drafty factory halls".)
    As usual, interesting observations. Regarding the accommodation for the camp staff, it was not uncommon during the initial phase of a KZ, to see the staff billeted within such structures as empty factory buildings that were present. Indeed, regarding work detail, initial prisoner transports were generally used to construct suitable quarters - first for the camp staff and later, for the inmates themselves, who often slept in the open or in makeshift tents etc during the construction phase of the Häftlingslager.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe Form
    P
    Many

SS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormSS Schaftmuetze and or Muetze, alte, hohe FormHow pleasing that said cap had attracted such informed and learned comment. Happy hats.

Fantastic item to behold, FB! This is certainly not my area and being a relative newcomer with only a few years in this militaria collecting "game" I guess it's not surprising but this is the first time I've seen one of these, I believe. So, thank you for posting and sharing with us all!

Also, you always add references to interesting literature on the topics at hand but they seem to be, mostly, for the German literate --- something which I am to a certain degree but not as in being able to read an entire book in the German language. Are any of these publications that you have included here available in English?

And, I have to agree... the earlier photos of the SS certainly do depict more than its fair share of thuggish and/or unpleasant looking characters... within this I guess there lies some real insight into just how hollow and false the ideals of this organization really was.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Attachment 759907This cap came from here, Hechingen in the Schwaebische Alb, the seat of the Hohenzollern.
    Makes me wonder what else is hidden in the attics, basements and understair closets of such townships...

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Makes me wonder what else is hidden in the attics, basements and understair closets of such townships...
    The cap was sold in Hechingen prior to 1935 or so and likely made in Wuppertal ca 1933 or 1934 or 1935....maybe, actually. It appeared to me in the collector biotope early in the last decade via the Canadian Collector's Guild; was sold at the SOS or MAX
    recently to Bill Shea and thence to me.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Fantastic item to behold, FB! This is certainly not my area and being a relative newcomer with only a few years in this militaria collecting "game" I guess it's not surprising but this is the first time I've seen one of these, I believe. So, thank you for posting and sharing with us all!

Also, you always add references to interesting literature on the topics at hand but they seem to be, mostly, for the German literate --- something which I am to a certain degree but not as in being able to read an entire book in the German language. Are any of these publications that you have included here available in English?

And, I have to agree... the earlier photos of the SS certainly do depict more than its fair share of thuggish and/or unpleasant looking characters... within this I guess there lies some real insight into just how hollow and false the ideals of this organization really was.
    The very best research on the SS today is conducted in German, and I include it thus.

The work in English is not as lively and informative, and, since I refuse to buy books on line, I buy German books in bookstores in Germany and Austria because I am a luddite.

I will think a bit about your question, but the recent bios of Himmler and Heydrich that appeared in translation and such are your best bet.

Maybe my friend Andreas can also help with bibliography as he is also at home in the German and English bibliography.

If I had to name one work in English, which is translated from the original, it would be this:

Heinrich Himmler: Peter Longerich: 9780199651740: Amazon.com: Books

When you look in Amazon at the allied and associated titles with these two works, you find most often: A.) very old books, long obsolete in terms of research, and or: B.) popular junk, which does not have much to do
    with the cutting edge findings of exactly the young generation of historians who have done such wonderful work in the last two decades since 1989.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast