Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Third Reich Sattelform Visors

Article about: F.-B., Dear Sir, the development of the Russian peaked cap is an interesting one, too. The original quite "low-crowned" caps (which influenced almost all former East-Block-countrie

Default Third Reich Sattelform Visors

TR visors are often imitated, but have never been duplicated.
    IMO, they are the most aesthetically pleasing of any piece of military soft headgear of all of history.
    No country has ever matched what I call their "S-Cubed": Symmetry, Shape & Style.
    Even a lowly official can look good:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich Sattelform Visors  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich Sattelform Visors
    P
    Many

Even the lowly postal visor looks better than 99% of military visors in use today:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich Sattelform Visors  

This NCO had good taste in haberdashers:

As best I have been able to track, the "Sattelform" reached it's peak (pun intended) in late 1943.
    After that, the peaks were reduced by most makers, obviously in an attempt to save material costs.
    This Schelly is undated, but I would say it is late '43:

Even lowly EM/NCO Red Cross visors got the sattelform treatment--this one is also circa 42-43:

Of course, the SS CW Kleiderkasse visors of 42-43 had some killer peaks:

?

Sattelform vs. Klappmütze --> saddle shape vs. hinged/flapped shape

Third Reich Sattelform Visors

In English:
    Today's common form of the uniform cap is the hinged/flapped form as shown in Fig. 6 (service cap of the Reichspost) with the prescribed dimensions. In the hinged cap, the seam of the panels at the front are significantly higher than at the sides and back. The difference in the height of the panels can be very large under certain circumstances; generally it is 20 - 30 %.
    The situation is similar with the saddle cap, which is raised all around and has been almost completely replaced by the hinged/flapped cap. Here, the panels are the same height in front and behind, and only lower on the sides.

I'm still trying to "duplicate" the elegant Klappmützen with their symmetry, shape and style - I know I should wake up to reality, but who knows, perhaps, some day.... If I only knew how they did it!

Attachment 1608012
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 09-11-2022 at 05:46 PM.

And of course the Luftwaffe also...

Great thread..Thats a cracker Bob

Wolfgang, thanks for that article.
    It is still one of the great mysteries of 3rd Reich haberdashery, but if anyone will solve it, you will!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast