Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...

Article about: Ok, just came back from the local show today and picked up a few really nice items. Up here is a nice clean 1st model Tropical Pith Helmet. Asked my friend how much and the price was CHEAP!!

MAP
    ?

Default Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...

Ok, just came back from the local show today and picked up a few really nice items.

Up here is a nice clean 1st model Tropical Pith Helmet. Asked my friend how much and the price was CHEAP!!!! So I grabbed it without asking any questions or looking too closely.

Later as I was settling up I noticed that... hmmm...somethings not right. What is the "Made in Germany" stamp on the leather liner. I went to put it back and was told that actually this is not uncommon. Back in the 70's these leftover but original lids were sold and imported into the US and thus requiring the stamp.

The helmet looks 100% legit to me otherwise and for the price, if it is original I could care less...

Any thoughts?

Michael

P.S. Mods: If this belongs in the cloth headgear section. Please move.

Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropenhelm - 1st Model but...
    P
    Many

It is a good one. The "Made in Germany" stamp was required for a number of years and, in my opinion, only reinforces the legitimacy of the piece. If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands. Just kidding. It is a nice one. Well done. Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    It is a good one. The "Made in Germany" stamp was required for a number of years and, in my opinion, only reinforces the legitimacy of the piece. If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands. Just kidding. It is a nice one. Well done. Jim G.
    Thanks Jim.

For the price I picked this up for I'm stoked. I couldn't grab it quick enough! It was less than half what you would see on most dealer sites. My guy knows his stuff so I completely trust him, plus another seasoned collector confirmed. Great having you give it a thumbs up as well.

...And I will put you first on the list if I sell (with no mark up no less) but doubt that is happening anytime soon. I now have both pattern of the German types, a Japanese, Italian and British. Last hole to fill is an American (which I have a 48 dated one named to a WW2 1st Sgt).

Regards,

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Michael, moved the thread for you.

A nice buy. I concur with Jim.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Michael, moved the thread for you.

A nice buy. I concur with Jim.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade.

In looking at other examples, some were in the helmet forum and some were in the cloth headgear forum.

Michael

Nice pick up, it looks great !!

MAP
    ?

Thanks Bob. Been on my wish list for a while now. So much iconic than the 2nd pattern IMHO.

?

Nice pick up... And whenever the price is right "Even Better" G
    P.S. Do you have many shows in your region ??
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Nice pick up... And whenever the price is right "Even Better" G
    P.S. Do you have many shows in your region ??
    IMHO it was an awesome price. I know my dealer made his fair share so we were all happy.

There are a few local associations that host shows by me. Only one is decent and even then 90% of these guys who sell WW2 and get a table don't know jack and 90% of there stuff is fake, messed with or crap. One time last year a guy at the table asked me what I thought he should sell and item for because he didn't know much about "these things". Only a handful of tables have anything good and my dealer/friend is by far the best. He's a great guy, honest and fair and does this because he loves the hobby. It's hard work for a small guy like him to ferret out good stuff so I really appreciate him. These shows don't even come close however to the size of the bigger shows. Maybe 20 or 30 tables of which only 10 or 15 are dedicated WW1/WW2. The rest of them sell surplus, civil war and modern stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast