Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???

Article about: by oradour dyzner, SteveR has hit the nail on the head, it is indeed two different helmets, the interior shown is from a model 1915 line infantry Pickelhaube with all field grey fittings, no

?

Default Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???

I came across this helmet and am curious to get everyone's thoughts on it. I've never seen this type of pith with the large heer eagle on the front, and no decals on the sides. The liner also has me puzzled. It looks more like a steel helmet's liner, and appears to have "wings" on the forward and aft sides of the liner.

Thoughts??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???   Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???  

Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???

The eagle looks like a naval administrative type, but I have not seen this type of liner before on a pith. It appears to be a liner from a pickelhaube or shako. I don't see any wings in the liner, or is it just the shape you are refering to?

?

tampalam,

I've never seen this type of liner on a Pith either, but this looks like a unique, if not rare, Pith if its good so perhaps this type had a different liner?

The "wings" I'm referring to are shown below (red arrows). I probably should have said "visors" instead of "wings". The arrow on the right may be pointing at the Pith helmet's rim, but the one on the left is pointing at a rear visor for sure, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts??? 

Ah, I see what you mean now. The wings look like the front and rear visors for a pickelhaube also. I like this one very much. Perhaps it is a very early type of liner or an adapted type. Maybe somebody here will have seen this before. How is the liner attached to the pith? Is it held by the four split pins at the top inside? If so, there appears to be no visible sign of these from the outside dome of the helmet. That would mean that it was probably manufactured this way. May I ask what the price of this helmet is? I have only owned Luftwaffe and Heer piths of the 1st and second models and I am very fond of these. A KM pith is definitely on my future collecting list.

?

I agree, this is a very intriguing helmet. I'll try and get some more photos from the seller. As for price, I haven't even crossed that road yet. Hopefully it will be fair. I'll post the price I pay once I acquire it. I'd love to get some more opinions on it here first though. Very interested to hear more about what this is.

I will guess that it is some kind of re-issued helmet from another country. We know the Germans used Dutch, Italian and British sun helmets. More pictures - especially of the markings inside would help. NH

im pretty sure the eagle is for a navy pith helmet, but like everyone else i've never seen the inside look like that

?

You have pictures of 2 different helmets. I assume you do not own either one. The pith is a naval pith helmet the interior is a picklehaube.
    Steve

dyzner, SteveR has hit the nail on the head, it is indeed two different helmets, the interior shown is from a model 1915 line infantry Pickelhaube with all field grey fittings, notice the top reinforcing plate with field grey brad splitpins which hold the spike base in place, if one looks into the recess, you can see the "hatched" top of the bayonet fitting of the spike base, M15 Pickelhaubes had removable spikes, the WINGS you refer to are infact the front and rear visors ! markings " BA XIV" is clothing stores 14th Army, a Baden Army Corps, so the helmet will be fitted with a "Winged Griffin & motto" front plate, you can see the leather wedge which holds the front plate on to the helmet in the photograph. The interior is dated 1916 and size 55 (small). Impossible for this to be the lining for a TR period pith helm. The seller has either sent you the wrong photo (it has been known) or is attempting a scam.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Hey guys. I do recall the owner having a picklehaube so he must have mixed photos. So disregarding the liner, how does everything else look? Is this rare, and if so what do you think is a fair price for it (assume the liner is in avg condition).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast