Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???

Article about: by oradour dyzner, SteveR has hit the nail on the head, it is indeed two different helmets, the interior shown is from a model 1915 line infantry Pickelhaube with all field grey fittings, no

?

Default Re: Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???

Quote by oradour View Post
    dyzner, SteveR has hit the nail on the head, it is indeed two different helmets, the interior shown is from a model 1915 line infantry Pickelhaube with all field grey fittings, notice the top reinforcing plate with field grey brad splitpins which hold the spike base in place, if one looks into the recess, you can see the "hatched" top of the bayonet fitting of the spike base, M15 Pickelhaubes had removable spikes, the WINGS you refer to are infact the front and rear visors ! markings " BA XIV" is clothing stores 14th Army, a Baden Army Corps, so the helmet will be fitted with a "Winged Griffin & motto" front plate, you can see the leather wedge which holds the front plate on to the helmet in the photograph. The interior is dated 1916 and size 55 (small). Impossible for this to be the lining for a TR period pith helm. The seller has either sent you the wrong photo (it has been known) or is attempting a scam.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Damned good research work Sir.
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???
    P
    Many

?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Hey guys. I do recall the owner having a picklehaube so he must have mixed photos. So disregarding the liner, how does everything else look? Is this rare, and if so what do you think is a fair price for it (assume the liner is in avg condition).
    They are rare. But I would be very cautious with this person. Condition always determines value and you have not seen the interior of the helmet.
    Steve

?

Good point Steve. I did see the liner and it's in exceptional condition, with the date beneath the leather band.

So how do you guys think the eagle looks? Does it look good? Seems to me the detail is there.

?

$500.00 is a fair price for a Navy pith helmet in good condition. If the liner is good it is a very hard to find WWII pith helmet.
    Steve

KM admin piths would go for a bit more than was mentioned by SteveR, IMO, at least double from what I have seen on dealers sites, though dealers often charge top money and then some.

Jerry

PS, It would be good to see some pics of the liner of the pith and not those of the picklehaube.

?

Hi guys! At long last, I have the Pith Helmet in my possession and she's a beauty!

Here are a few good photos of the helmet at every angle, including the long awaited interior, which is in better condition than I hoped!

Let me know what you think...

Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???Unique Heer Pith Helmet - Thoughts???

Hi Darren, looks fine to me. Nice Kreigsmarine example.

Cheers, Ade.

Very good example of a Km officers, made by Karl Halfar and 1941 dated, same as my unbadged example by the same maker.

Jerry

?

Thanks guys. You guys have probably seen more of these than I have, is all the staining normal? The stain pattern on the right-hand side is really interesting, almost looks intentional. I wish there was a way to figure out whether the stains are wartime, or post war.

Nice to see the correct interior photos! These caps stain very easily. Most examples I have seen have some kind of mottled look due to staining and light exposure. I would chalk your staining/discoloration up to use and some sun exposure. Perhaps it sat in the window of a shop for a bit of time - that would make strange bleaching marks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2