Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual Early SA Kepi

Article about: This an early pre-1933 era wool SA other ranks kepi. Wool examples from this era are seldom seen. What is really unusual about this piece is the fact that it has a brown laquered finish over

Default Unusual Early SA Kepi

This an early pre-1933 era wool SA other ranks kepi. Wool examples from this era are seldom seen. What is really unusual about this piece is the fact that it has a brown laquered finish over a black leather visor. This is the only example of this form kepi that I know of. There are no visible maker's marks. At one time, a maker's name had been printed on the lining but it is now lost to time due to wear. The dating is based upon the insignia and the lack of a top Gruppe color.

Unusual Early SA KepiUnusual Early SA KepiUnusual Early SA Kepi
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual Early SA Kepi
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unusual Early SA Kepi

Very interesting...thanks Bob

?

Your the man Bob. First one I have ever seen.

Bob,

Nice early kepi! Here is a rare photo from my collection of some SA Motor guys. Note the black leather bill similar to yours. Very rare to see this type of kepi in wear.

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Early SA Kepi  

Mark-
    Nothing like period photos to prove a point. It seems as though this practice was carried through past 1933 as these men are wearing Gruppe colors on their kepis. Of course, they could have retrofitted their old kepis with the addition of the colored fabric on the top. I note that one man in the photo is not with the program and is still wearing a monotone kepi.
    BOB

?

The monochrome kepi looks bland next to some of the spectacular colourful examples, that we see here.
    I wonder, why they went with a kepi-style headdress in the first place.
    I would not think, that there was a German tradition for that style of headwear. It is nothing like a peaked visor cap and only superficially resembles the later 'Einheitsmutze'.
    Maybe to set themselves apart.

Quote by Scout View Post
    The monochrome kepi looks bland next to some of the spectacular colourful examples, that we see here.
    I wonder, why they went with a kepi-style headdress in the first place.
    I would not think, that there was a German tradition for that style of headwear. It is nothing like a peaked visor cap and only superficially resembles the later 'Einheitsmutze'.
    Maybe to set themselves apart.
    That is a very interesting thought. The kepi is traditionally French I believe. The NSDAP introduced many new fads to Germany, so I guess this is just another example of that.

?

Agreed. We all know the traditional French Kepi. As you say, many new fads were introduced in the TR. Just slightly odd, that a kepi-style hat was chosen IMO.
    Not exactly being historical bosom buddies, one shouldnt think, that the Germans would model anything on traditional French headwear.
    Of course being neighbours a modicum of influence is/was inevitable.

?

Here are some TERRIBLE (sorry!) pics I took of an early PL uniform at a local museum. The visor is of interest here...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Early SA Kepi   Unusual Early SA Kepi  

Quote by Arran View Post
    Here are some TERRIBLE (sorry!) pics I took of an early PL uniform at a local museum. The visor is of interest here...
    A very interesting and rare political leader uniform with first pattern NSDAP insignia and the striped kampfbinde. These are rarely seen. An interesting kepi with a similar visor.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast