Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

wartime Luftwaffe schiffchen or not

Article about: hi i came across this is it a wartime example i do have one original pic of a officers sidecap having a grey leather band but have never come across another cheers Jon

Default wartime Luftwaffe schiffchen or not

hi i came across this is it a wartime example i do have one original pic of a officers sidecap having a grey leather band but have never come across another

cheers Jon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement wartime Luftwaffe schiffchen or not
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: wartime Luftwaffe schiffchen or not

I would say a Bundeswehr cap.

?

Agreed, especially with that grey sweatband

Yes, postwar cap.

mm this is the pic of the original i saw same material etc so is it any good for re-enactment do you think? its almost very very similar to the wartime equivelent

?

For re-enactment, a Bundes cap would be perfect. As you say, they are so close to wartime examples, especialy the Officers versions in Trikot.

Notice on the original how the piping slopes dramatically down on the front and also towards the rear of the cap, the post war cap the piping curves up but then goes almost perfectly horizontal all the way to the rear of the cap, dead giveaway for post war caps. I also agree about the sweat band, notice how thick the postwar grey is vs. the thinner alcor sudo leather of the original. Also the originals I personally have seen either have no sweat band or only a very short one only at the very front of the hat, not that they are the only ones that are correct, just that is the majority of what I have personally seen.

this is my officers Re-enactment one though it was made in Germany trikot or gaberdine wool and has decent Morigi officer insignia attached

I think it looks just fine for re-enacting. Unless you knew exactly what you were looking for the average person would not be able to tell the difference.

cheers Keith its hard enough finding a cap close enough to a original Trikot one anyway i know officers ones were not all like this i just thought it would be good to show a example at events

Jon