Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?

Article about: I was looking at this visor, and it looks good and in great shape, although I've not seen an example with the dark color under the peak/visor part of the cap. I've probably looked at 100 exa

Default Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?

I was looking at this visor, and it looks good and in great shape, although I've not seen an example with the dark color under the peak/visor part of the cap. I've probably looked at 100 examples that were posted, and they've been the usual brown/tan color with a few gray exceptions. Am I looking at a messed with hat here, or an non-typical variation on that part of the hat? A late war hat perhaps, an Erel?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?
    P
    Many

Bingo, finally found one. Late war:

late-war Infantry Officer's visor cap

Chinstrap looks new, but the hat is pretty mint also. Makes me wonder if it's original to the hat...

MAP
    ?

This looks like a good private purchase cap to me. Having a black underside is very rare I have read in Gary Wilkins book. Along with Grey and green oxide.

The piping is also quite thicker than regulation to my eyes. Again. Not unheard of with high end private purchase visors.

Happy to be proven wrong by those with more experience but if this is bad, it would have fooled me.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

LoL...did you just add more pictures? When I first opened the post I did not see the last 4 or so....

I think this is private purchase but let's see what others say. The fabric looks like the standard issue tricot, so I could be wrong.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ha! Yeah, I added a couple more that had better lighting on the peak, and the sweatband turned up. I absolutely love the shape of this hat. The black colored material on the underside (which apparently was seen on these) and the chinstrap worry me the most about this one, but I think everything may be original on it. *fingers crossed* I've seen a few with monstrously large piping in the examples I looked at, but on some (like this one) I think it works.

The black peak on the cap is fine. These were hand lacquered, and the quality of this work declined as the war progressed and the skilled workers were replaced
    by those who could not do such exacting tasks. You are reading far too many ill informed posts by those who imagine the only kind of army cap is that made in 1938.

The 2 mm plus crown piping is perfectly acceptable, too.....especially in an extra cap as this one versus the Lieferungsmuetze.

As usual, I'm in your debt for the great info FB. There were a number of terms in your posts that led me on some great searches, which in turn turned up much of the info I was looking for, and some bits I didn't know I didn't know. I wish I could pass off my lack of understanding on this particular example to ill informed posters elsewhere this time, but my questions on this one were from sheer ignorance on my own part. It seems an investment in the Wilkins book I keep hearing about would be a worthwhile consideration at this point, since apparently, I'm not beyond buying another cap.

MAP
    ?

Wilkins book is excellent but not perfect. It is a great tool and easily worth the cost. But it should be used in conjunction with the information on this forum

Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?Wehrmacht Infantry Enlisted Schirmmütze - Black inner peak?
    Quote by avenger View Post
    As usual, I'm in your debt for the great info FB. There were a number of terms in your posts that led me on some great searches, which in turn turned up much of the info I was looking for, and some bits I didn't know I didn't know. I wish I could pass off my lack of understanding on this particular example to ill informed posters elsewhere this time, but my questions on this one were from sheer ignorance on my own part. It seems an investment in the Wilkins book I keep hearing about would be a worthwhile consideration at this point, since apparently, I'm not beyond buying another cap.
    Alles mit der Ruhe, mein Lieber! I am a task master with these things, but what gripes me is nice people talking themselves out of a nice, authentic piece
    because of the clap trap repeated a thousand times by some ill informed "collector," with a check list. I own the Peek Cloppenburg book on uniforms from, I think,
    1942, which is the story of tailoring and its industrial transformation. I also read books on the German war economy, the sum of which makes clear that what
    had previously been handicrafts are subjected to taylorism and fordism amid a struggle for skilled labor. The Lubstein nice cap of say, 1938 or 1937, is held
    up as the measure of all things, whereby the later caps get short shrift. In a sense, the later caps, born of war, are more compelling as a historical source
    and more interesting. They may have even been made by slave labor, whereby they are a real symbol of the time and such.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast