Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is this cap?

Article about: For many years, I have wondered what unit wore this visor cap. It was my first schirmutze bought for \\$5.00 in 1958 from a resale store in Chicago. The cap had a black velvet band with blue t

Default What is this cap?

What is this cap?For many years, I have wondered what unit wore this visor cap. It was my first schirmutze bought for $5.00 in 1958 from a resale store in Chicago. The cap had a black velvet band with blue top and carmine piping like a typical fire hat. The eagle was a silver M1936 political eagle. The cocarde was black outside with a dark blue center. It was a prewar private purchase cap. All insignia were original to the cap. The image is from the Bozich book on headgear from 1968. It is out there somewhere. I have never seen another like this.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is this cap?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What is this cap?

its got a lot of similarities to a Reichsbahn personnels cap the only difference being the eagle (could have been replaced) and the piping The Collector's Guild

Could it be a factory guard NCO? plate 204 in Brian Leigh Davis's book "German Uniforms of the Third Reich"

Quote by talltom View Post
    its got a lot of similarities to a Reichsbahn personnels cap the only difference being the eagle (could have been replaced) and the piping The Collector's Guild
    oppsie missed out you said it was blue toped ww2 postal authorities visor cap
    What is this cap?

There is no questin that the insignia were original to the cap. Remember the colors are like a fire cap. The odd thing is the black and blue cocarde. Remember, I got this in 1958, long before stuff was screwed with asit is today. When it was, it was quite evident.
    BOB

?

I tend to disagree. Black velvet band, blue cover and carmine piping would suggest a pre war Fire Services cap.
    Like this one that I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this cap?  

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I tend to disagree. Black velvet band, blue cover and carmine piping would suggest a pre war Fire Services cap.
    Like this one that I have.
    Intereting comparison Ben. There were no additional holes from previous insignia under the eagle. This may be forever a puzzlement.
    BOB

?

I'm not sure it's so much of a puzzle to be honest Bob.
    The cap above is just one of many Fire department related hats that I've bought over the years that had all manor of different insignia configurations.
    Take the one in the photo you posted, I'm 99% sure even though it's B&W that it has an Imperial era Saxon kokarde.

Ben-
    thanks for the information. The question is who wore this transitional cap?
    BOB

Bob, I was stumped when I first saw it in the book, and am still stumped to this day. Best I can figure is some sort of Werkschutzfeuerwehr visor that was used prior to the institution of the standard Werkschutz eagle (which I believe was in 1939).

I doubt the hat remains in this configuration today--someone along the line has probably placed an M-36 eagle in place of the cockade and removed the eagle.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”