Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

what is this cap its claimed to be a mountain troop ski cap

Article about: What is believed to be a original mountain troops ski cap , it came from germany from a good dealer apparently, its made from light weight garbedine windproof material it has double button f

Default what is this cap its claimed to be a mountain troop ski cap

What is believed to be a original mountain troops ski cap , it came from germany from a good dealer apparently, its made from light weight garbedine windproof material it has double button front ear flaps , white lining with no maker stamp
    Attached Images Attached Images what is this cap its claimed to be a mountain troop ski cap  what is this cap its claimed to be a mountain troop ski cap  what is this cap its claimed to be a mountain troop ski cap 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what is this cap its claimed to be a mountain troop ski cap
    P
    Many

Default Re: what is this cap its claimed to be a mountain troop ski cap

Not an issue cap.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade any idea what it could be wartime-post war?

Jon

Hi Jon, as I cannot see any evidence of any insignia I would say it is a civvy cap. Hard to date. Not something I would buy.

Cheers, Ade.i

Hi Ade again thanks i like to scout about and see whats for sale in various places, i passed on this a year ago and found that the seller had it for sale again

cheers

Jon

Hi Jon, not a good sign to see he has it back to be honest.

Private purchase, non regulation, summer weight caps were worn during the war. Usually the reserve of senior NCO's or Officers who could get away with wearing them. But these are rare and would always be worn with the correct insignia.

The peak is also too long to be true Bergmutze pattern cap.

The Bergmutze was a highly prized bit of headgear, akin to the British red beret in status.

Cheers, Ade.

hi Ade i figured that too, and i did read about the non regulation cap thing and summer weight twill, this cap doesnt look like it has ever had insignia attached on

by the way i noticed your pic. are you a re-enactor too?

cheers Jon

Hi Jon, yes, a re-enactor for 32 years. I am 2 i/c with 2nd Guards. Being a re-enactor is also useful when it comes to being familiar with fake items. Naturally I see the latest fakes worn by comrades in German units and I get to examine these caps, uniforms, etc in detail.

Cheers, Ade.

me too Ade since 1989, various periods didnt do much concerning WWII except RAF which i know a little about and some airborne forces, doing living history though for a long time i was used to handling real items like you

Thanks Jon

Not a Bergmütze. I have seen Summer weight caps made from various materials including Zeltbahn. My group (Hoch 4.) has had similar caps (with shorter Berg style visors) made from Russian shelter quarter material. I would have a hard time accepting this as a legit WWII military example. Maybe a period civilian piece as has been suggested.