Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What is a Crusher anyway?

Article about: Ok so let's get the discussion going. For me, the term crusher is a collectors term and has been used, abused and totaly misunderstood for too long. Germany had a cap called the Feldmutze Al

?

Default Re: What is a Crusher anyway?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Is the term "Crusher" only applied to third reich caps as i thought the term originated in America and the USAAF used the term openly to describe their soft caps.

Several makers of USAAF visors -with single ply leather visor - are commonly know as crushers, I don't know if the term came about during the war though. Here is a "50 mission" look Bancroft "Flighter".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is a Crusher anyway?   What is a Crusher anyway?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is a Crusher anyway?
    P
    Many

definition of " crusher " = able to be easily folded / screwed up and stuffed into pocket or other type of small compartment.

?

Ah, that's a good one because that brings me onto the materials that they were made from. I have owned several "crushers" with regular card pasteboards. If you were to try and crush them, you would break the pasteboards.

?

Case in point.
    An eReL Alter Art cap. Lightweight, card pasteboard, "crusher" insignia and leather peak. This is no crusher though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is a Crusher anyway?  

?

That being the case, perhaps the correct term should now be " IN THE SYTLE OF " but i would assume that the terminology has been used for so long it has become the norm

Quote by ErichK View Post
    Several makers of USAAF visors -with single ply leather visor - are commonly know as crushers, I don't know if the term came about during the war though. Here is a "50 mission" look Bancroft "Flighter".
    The USAAF 'crusher' was purposely made this way to facilitate the wearing of
    headphones. 'Crusher' really is a good term to identify these lighter German
    caps though, even if they were not originally known as such, because they
    are similar in construction.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Then you have this one. Paul Kaps with a very manuable pasteboard that no one has identified so far. Again, this is no crusher.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is a Crusher anyway?  

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The USAAF 'crusher' was purposely made this way to facilitate the wearing of
    headphones. 'Crusher' really is a good term to identify these lighter German
    caps though, even if they were not originally known as such, because they
    are similar in construction.
    I don't see how anyone can say that and the whole purpose of the thread.

Ben,
    if you are after is what was actually designated during the period it was relatively straightforward.
    A Service cap (Dienstmuetze), was worn by commissioned ranks on duty when a steel helmet was not specified. Also by non commissioned ranks in the vicinity of the barracks and for walking out.
    A Field cap (Feldmuetze), was worn in the field and all activities related to the field by both officers and men. Most period orders only specify that a peaked field cap must have the chinstrap and stiffener removed. A leather peak was available on service caps so was not a prerequisite of a field cap.
    A Feldmuetze alter art was so designated after a new pattern field cap had been introduced. For example, the peaked field cap for officers was so designated because the 1938 new boat shaped field cap had officially replaced it.
    d'alquen

Not that these caps were made to be crushed at all,
    but if anything other than 'Feldmutze alter art',
    I very much like what Klinger used:
    'Knautschmutze'.

BTW, Ben, these are beautiful examples............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast