Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What do you make of this sidecap?

Article about: The drawing and inscription on this sidecap was made by a crewmember of U-801 who had been taken prisoner aboard the USS Block Island after his submarine had been sunk by U.S. gun fire and d

Default What do you make of this sidecap?

The drawing and inscription on this sidecap was made by a crewmember of U-801 who had been taken prisoner aboard the USS Block Island after his submarine had been sunk by U.S. gun fire and depth charges. The inscription, Zum Andenken an den 17.3.44, means In Memory of March 3, 1944 when the U-801 was sunk. But what kind of cap is this? It has no lining, no label, no sweatband, and appears to have never been worn. Any thoughts you have will be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do you make of this sidecap?   What do you make of this sidecap?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you make of this sidecap?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: What do you make of this sidecap?

I believe it is a spanish cap.
    SteveR

Thanks, Steve. The tassel makes it look Spanish, but It is still confusing.

?

Quote by Uncle Paul View Post
    Thanks, Steve. The tassel makes it look Spanish, but It is still confusing.
    Welcome to my world.?
    SteveR

I read your other thread about these items.

The cap reminds me a little of those worn by German University students as part of faculty associations. But I have never seen one exactly like this one before. As Steve says it does have a "Spanish" feel about it too.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks to all who replied. I suspect that the cap was on the USS Block Island before the prisoners were taken aboard. The men were in the water for over an hour before they were rescued and its not likely that they held on to much personal property, least of all a sidecap. By all accounts they were treated quite well and given various supplies. A report from the Block Island's commanding officer mentions that one of the unwounded men who refused to give the name or number of his submarine "busied himself during the days on board the BLOCK ISLAND drawing banners...." His drawing materials might have been supplied by the Store Keeper 3rd class from whose son I purchased the cap. Just speculation, of course. Cheers.

Steuerbord
    ?

Hello Uncle Paul,

I know a survivor of U-801, he is now 89 years old, and he told me that they mad the drawings aboard the carrier on artikels, that were given to them. For example on scarfs or sidecaps, like yours. He heard of one of the US-soldiers that they got the souveniers from northern africa (I think he mentioned Cassablanca) for their wifes and kids at home.

May I ask wether it is for sale? Erich is getting 90 in August 2011 and I think it would be a great present for him.

Kind regards
    J. M. Adam

Hello Mr. Adam

Thank you so much for responding. I am absolutely amazed that you are in touch with a survivor of U-801. Your comments that the survivors were given articles from North Africa to draw on makes sense and explains what this unusual sidecap really is. It is for sale or trade for other Third Reich militaria.
    Would you care to make an offer? Again, many thanks for your information.
    Cheers,
    Uncle Paul

Steuerbord
    ?

Hello Uncle Paul,

thank you very much for your message. I would prefer if we continue to write us an email, regarding to your offer. If this would be ok for you, here is my email-adress: schelllllbacher@aolllll.com
    (sorry, only one l in each word...)
    Thank you!

Regards
    J.M. Adam