Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza

Article about: Feeling a bit mischievous today so... Here's a scary thought, in the light of your honesty Ben, perhaps we should start a " I can't believe I bought this" thread....that'll sort ou

Default Re: Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza

Ben's point as to old woolens is exactly right, and there is no way to do so via the internet.
    I suggest that these fake SS caps be moved to their own thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza
    P
    Many

Quote by spandau View Post
    Ben,

I will have to disagree on your view of books being out of date when they are published.

The power of a well researched and well argued piece of work is in my view always worthy of remaining on a shelf and being a constant source of knowledge and enjoyment. I have reference books from the 1980's that have yet to be surpassed in their content, written long before the digital age.

I feel both mediums have a place in our hobby and can work together in a way that gets the collector maximum advantage. A synergy if you like.

Just a view from an unrepentant book worm...........

cheers

tony
    Hurra!

Six years have passed since this exchange. You tell me the meaning of those six years and what the above means by the light of today?

I, personally, have grown extra weary of the "is it fake?" thing.

I answer the question, but more with rage than with interest.

It is that the fakery in society in a general sense has spread from the inside of caps to everywhere, and the distrust and ill feeling that goes with this process

has made me, for one, very bored by the whole "narrative," as you today call it.

I want to underscore Tony's interest in books and otherwise re-state the obvious that books have merit, even when they have flaws.
    Those who do not write books who are eager to point out the flaws in books do not have much merit in my view.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I want to underscore Tony's interest in books and otherwise re-state the obvious that books have merit, even when they have flaws.
    Those who do not write books who are eager to point out the flaws in books do not have much merit in my view.
    Certainly so. But let's not forget - as devious the "fakers" have been past, in manufacturing forgeries . . . so too are still today, the devious in crafting books with forgeries. For the fact that one has been successful in publishing a book, does not nullify the temptation to do wrong-doing - especially in today's World, the proverbial "Wild West" of freedom to disseminate chicanery. And the ability to do so freely, without the restraining measures once admired in said past. I would argue that today is more of a time of deception than ever in the past - and although the tools for discovering truth are all the more available to each of us - it is the trick of deciphering the truth from deceit that most of us no longer have the strength, time, nor perhaps the ability to overcome. But when such a challenge arise - in my humble opinion - if an Author bears no fortitude for accepting that challenge to his said work - and equally so, less fortitude for producing fact to defend it - then perhaps that is the time it becomes admirable to question both the motives and the fruit of said Author.

You want to give me an example, please?

I.e.

"the devious in crafting books with forgeries. "

Of course, there is nothing remarkable in this fact, for instance, Atwood did it with his dagger book a half century ago.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-12-2018 at 04:55 AM.

"And the ability to do so freely, without the restraining measures once admired in said past. I would argue that today is more of a time of deception than ever in the past - and although the tools for discovering truth are all the more available to each of us - it is the trick of deciphering the truth from deceit that most of us no longer have the strength, time, nor perhaps the ability to overcome. "

Well, I had thought that I was trying to explain things to persons, but are you implying that I am a deceiver?

Your last post contained pretty bad errors about German history along with your cultural pessimist essay.

I do not write books with pictures of Nazi regalia in them.

Nor am I convinced that the persons who criticize the books by dint of being a "collector" have the ability to discern these things.

Don't let me put too fine a point on it, though.

As to strength, time, and....ability, most do not have the mental ability to deal with complexity.

I am a professional educator in a very refined setting, and the ill discipline of a lot of persons with a sense of entitlement is just something

about which I have pity.

I got a personal note recently to this effect, the content of which is so explosive, that I won't publish it here.

In any case, Okeana, do kindly tell exactly who and what do you mean here, a title or an author.

Well, on second thought, here is what someone wrote to me. I am sure it will irritate some, but I do not care anymore.
    My time here will end presently.

".......I just read your memories of Germany in the 60's and 70's. Absolutely incredible. It makes me daydream of what it would have been like. I just wanted to say you will never know how much I, and others on this forum appreciate the work of you and your friends here. I know you have been disheartened by malcontents and smartasses here. I have been contacted by, and met, many forum members in the states over the years. Unfortunately I have found that many of them are living in a crappy house, driving a crappy car, with unemployed wives or girlfriends that bitch at them daily. Brutal, but true. Your mastery of the written word, and quality of collection no doubt intimidates/irritates these unhappy souls. Well rounded, content, forum members that are secure in themselves truly value your contributions here. Please don't let the barbarians run you off...."

I did not write this. One of your colleagues did. Once more, I bear no responsibility for how life and society are constructed in the US today.
    None whatsoever. Also, I salute people who write books, certain of whom are the pillars of this site. I do carefully note the sentence
    here about the social misery, but why is this issue my concern at all?

"if an Author bears no fortitude for accepting that challenge to his said work - and equally so, less fortitude for producing fact to defend it - "

This is twisted syntax and an inference without any concrete example, at least to my mind, and I do this for a living. That is, I write and
    due editorial work on books, so I am a professional. So what exactly do you mean?

Some books have fakes in them. Your ex colonel book that all your chums on the WAF cite each hour with their eyes turned back in their dull heads
    is choked on each page with errors, yet no one is smart enough to point them out. What are you saying?

Tony's books are first rate, I have read them. His posts here are first rate. And so on.

Wim's books are fabulous, and so are Phillipe's wonderful book on the Feldbluse.
    I could disagree with a couple of points in Wim's books, but I read them all the time, and
    am gratified.

The English glamor dealer book on the black SS is filled with errors, but I decided because of the ups and downs of things,
    that I would refrain from open criticism, because I fail to see the point.
    If I posted what I deem to be the errors, it would just go in circles, although I stand
    by what I write, and I put a helluva a lot of effort in to it, i.e, spending my time
    and money to do research as a professional.

Many of the firms that publish militaria books cannot do editorial work on them.
    That is, someone does not proof them as they should be.
    That is a commercial aspect of the publishing trade today.
    There are other books that have a perfect editorial process, i.e. Rest Militaria, which I am sure most of the savants here do not know
    exist, or have ever had in their hand.
    Their books are superb.

So, once more, please give me an example of your generalizations.

Also, I corrected your error with the Junker in the other post, and you did not have the politeness to respond either to the effect that I was wrong (which I am not...)
    nor to say anything at all.

"Unfortunately I have found that many of them are living in a crappy house, driving a crappy car, with unemployed wives or girlfriends that bitch at them daily. Brutal, but true."

All of these things are relative. I have known people in these conditions who are exceptional individuals, and well spoken people with squared away finances to quite devious and not at all good people. I try to avoid judgments such as this and I would argue the truth of the comment. The human condition seems to be one of widespread misery and lack of social graces, as well as moral foundations that are the supports upon which you build your life. As I have said before, the darker side of humanity, here in these electronic realms and in the 3 dimensional world, is spreading ever farther it's grasp.
    Social status be damned, for from the most wealthy to the most poor, it costs nothing to carry oneself and treat others with dignity and respect. The amount of personal wealth one does or doesn't have should never be used to explain away personal behavior.

Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast