Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza

Article about: Feeling a bit mischievous today so... Here's a scary thought, in the light of your honesty Ben, perhaps we should start a " I can't believe I bought this" thread....that'll sort ou

Default Re: Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    I think the visor underneath should be green.

Cheers, Patrick
    Pat--
    One of the easiest tells on these postwar BRD visors is that the "ribs" on the mohair band are flatter and wider than their TR counterparts.

A lot of BRD Polizei visors end up being transferred to the Luftwaffe. This is what they normally look like:
    Attached Images Attached Images Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza 
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza
    P
    Many

?

I noticed that the ribs were a bit different, but not so much that I thought that that was the problem. Nice to know, I must watch out for thoes BRD polzie visor transformations.

Cheers, Patrick

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Pat--
    One of the easiest tells on these postwar BRD visors is that the "ribs" on the mohair band are flatter and wider than their TR counterparts.

A lot of BRD Polizei visors end up being transferred to the Luftwaffe. This is what they normally look like:
    Also Luftwaffe der Bundeswehr with a change of the peak.

?

What do you think about this one? I added the eagle which IMO is a superb, black wool backed original.
    The cap is a different story though, it's not a copy or fake but I've never been sure if it's a wartime cap.
    A slightly different angle to making a mistake because no one can tell me for sure either way.
    Such is life when trying to identify certain hats which were also made post war. I think we know more about pre 1945 manufacture than we do about 1945 to the 1950's actualy because hardly anyone has studied this very early post war period.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza   Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza  

Ben--
    Yours looks good to me, but I do not collect M-43's.

There seems to be some consensus on the part of M-43 collectors that sweatdiamonds were not used in M-43 caps prior to 1945. I have trouble believing that.....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

I've had permission to post this one for your comments and obsverations. The owner told me that he doesn't think the velvet was added but obviously some SS badges were at some stage.

A number of years ago, I bought a very similar cap but with a green band (being sold as a Heer Pz Gren hat) and it was most definitely post war German made but I never did find out for what organisation it was for. I suspect Polizei..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza   Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza  

Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza   Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganza  

?

I can't find a pic of the lime green piped cap I owned but it was almost identical to this one posted by Bob Hritz a few years ago but without vent grommets.
    The wool is more feldgrau than the one above which has that Polizei tint to it.

Ben,

That M43 looks good to me as well.

The outer finish on the peak of the cap in the post #37 has that kind of rougher look. I usually attribute them to post war production. Just my rule of thumb nothing factual or scientific in the deduction.

Trick of the trade maybe ?

cheers

tony

This one was much more challenging for me in the early days. The cap was really well made but had a couple of odd features which troubled me at the time but..................

What i now know is that :

Piping colour is yellow : neither signals nor cavalry
    the cap band is only 4cm wide not 4.5 cm
    the inside construction was not upto standard quality expected and the sweatband was grey and fitted badly
    the celluloid was sus......maybe plastic but a real tricky one to decide
    the internal cheesecloth was "like new" white
    peak is original !

cheers

tony

Wilson Center on line headwear extravaganzaWilson Center on line headwear extravaganza

Hi

On a roll here dredging up the past book of horrors !

Looking at my old pictures came across this one which made me smile about being so young, eager and so easily robbed

The dealer assured me it was a ww1 officers cap. very rare of course and it was correct, if I remember rightly, because of the two cockades being present.

It is a real leveller looking back at what I saw then as original and what I now know/think/hope to be the real deal (or as FB said, maybe what we have now is also not real !............ but don't get paranoid just yet).

Happy days and happy hats. I love those learning curves................

cheers

tony

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast