Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors

Article about: I had someone recently tell me that they never made fakes of common visors. I wish it were so. While there are plenty of reproductions on the market, there were (and are) fakes made of commo

Default re: Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors

Quote by kirby View Post
    $35 wasn't cheap in 1970. I started collecting in 72-73 and you could buy a real nice SA dagger for under $50. Most common belt buckles and badges were $5-10. $35 would buy almost a hundred gallons on gas.
    You are quite right. I do not want to suggest that $35 dollars for me as an eighteen year old was at all cheap. Gasoline doubled in price in the wake of the October 1973 war and the stagflation was on until the early '80s. The price of Nazi regalia also rose later in the '70s. My first black SS cap in 1971/2 was USD 125 at considered by all to be an insane price.

I would say, though, that I am not at all sure that $35 allowed fakers to make a cunning fake, as there was at said time still a large, plentiful supply of real regalia, nor was the market in any way as sophisticated and humped up as it has been in the last period, especially since the onset of the internet.

A gallon high test octane gas was .35 cents when I got my first car.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors
    P
    Many

Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common VisorsThis person, who is still active despite the passage of time, well described the market of fakes in the year 1969. This booklet was the opening shot in the fight that transpires here and elsewhere every minute with ceaseless intensity. No one could have foreseen any of this in 1969, that's for sure.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Very nice page evokes a different and simpler world in which these things were plentiful.
    Reminds me of the Sea-monkey eggs advertised on the back of comic books that one could buy a packet of for 5 cents.

Here is another example of a fake of a somewhat common hat--a KM Donald Duck:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors   Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors  

Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors   Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Even Janke made (and probably still does) fakes of infantry EM/NCO hats (this one is being sold as an original--note the "mothing")
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors   Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors  

Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors   Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors  

Attached Images Attached Images Yes, Virginia, They Did (and Do) Make Fakes of Common Visors 

This is a fake artillery officer visor for sale on Ebay right now (along with the original owner's alleged veteran cap).
    The maker (Seebrecht) did exist, but it reflects their postwar address.

Note how the green of the band is off from wartime WH examples:

TWO (2) GERMAN OFFICERS CAPS WWII mk:LEEBRECHT & WWI BAVARIAN BRISTOL CONDITION | eBay

This topic has reawakened on the other forum.
    Here are additional photos of the hat that led off this thread.
    Keep in mind, this hat was purchased in the early 1970s:

Hi

I note the lining has been cut with "pinking shears"...is that also a give away ?

Superb effort to make the cap back in the day look that good, much better than most of todays efforts.

cheers

Tony

Tony, yes, the pinking shears are a big give-away

Quote by spandau View Post
    Hi

I note the lining has been cut with "pinking shears"...is that also a give away ?

Superb effort to make the cap back in the day look that good, much better than most of todays efforts.

cheers

Tony

Here is an Alteste of a WH EM/NCO artillery visor in blanket wool--about as common as it gets.
    Remove the sweatdiamond, and it would fool most collectors to this day:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast