Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1950s RAF Dress Jacket

Article about: Not sure if posted in correct place !, I picked up this jacket on line for a good price, it has kings crown staybrite buttons, but the lower one has been replaced by brass, the medal ribbon

jwp
    ?

Default 1950s RAF Dress Jacket

Not sure if posted in correct place !, I picked up this jacket on line for a good price, it has kings crown staybrite buttons, but the lower one has been replaced by brass, the medal ribbon is Africa general service medal, by the tunics date this must be the last issue of this medal with Kenya bar for the Mau Mau uprising.
    There seems to be the name Davey inked on to the internal label along with a 4 digit number, the thing that puzzles me is that the corporal stripes appear to be army style khaki backed versions, any thoughts on this,
    regards,
    John.1950s RAF Dress Jacket1950s RAF Dress Jacket1950s RAF Dress Jacket1950s RAF Dress Jacket1950s RAF Dress Jacket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1950s RAF Dress Jacket
    P
    Many

It's a nice and interesting jacket. I doubt there is any great significance to the
    stripes, I imagine they just happened to be available. They look like they have been there a long time.

Hi John,

I can see why you are puzzled but in a way the characteristics of this jacket might actually add to the authentic look of it.

As for the buttons, the fact that they have a kings crown makes them among the very earliest of staybright buttons at which time the preceeding brass version would have been very much still in evidence and obsolescent rather than obsolete. Rather than being a "dress" uniform in the sense of it only being worn on ceremonial occassions (which might be the case for some airmen) it is likely to have been worn much more frequently (therefore not such an issue with the odd button if not worn for parades etc), EG RAF Police would wear it every single day except for periods in shirt sleeve order. From my own experience of wearing army No2 dress (very similar in appearance) virtually every day at times, I can say that the bottom button is the most likely to become detached and require replacement. So, no surprise there as the average airman just like the average squaddie will use what ever button of the right pattern he can find.
    You are right that the chevrons look an odd shade and it is hard to tell given the vagaries of PC monitor colour rendition but I think that what we see here is merely the natural fading from the original blue colour of the wool base. What I see is a matching level of fading of the chevrons and the surrounding jacket material together with machine stitching the looks like it was there since adam was a lad! Also, there seems to be more of a grey hue to the chevrons and no matter how faded army chevrons become they retain a yellowish tinge of greatly "watered down" khaki.
    For me this jacket is perfectly OK and a good example of a well used period piece. Now you need to match trousers and hat to it which unlike the shirt and tie will not be easy!

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

jwp
    ?

many thanks, Mark and Douglas, indeed in "real life" the area between the two stripes does have a grey tinge to it while the outer edges seem brown/khaki. thanks again,
    regards,
    John.