Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

Article about: I love the pigeon display mate, really great stuff!

Default Re: Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

My dad was a MP in Korea. Here is a pic of him with his guard dog.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

Just found this picture of my father who was in the Royal Navy, I guess this was taken in the late 1950's / early 1960's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

A US Army Signal Corps message book. It contains twenty-five sets of form in triplicate for normal use, three sets in duplicate for pigeon use and twenty-five sheets of tracing paper. These message books formed part of the pigeon troop equipment. The individual message sheet that is in one of my carrier pigeon leg capsules is dated 1942, however, the sheets in this book are dated 1943.
    The message book can be seen in this well known image of paratroopers training in 1943.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got? 

?

very interesting thread ! well done !
    Regards

Matt

A National Pigeon Service badge. Issued to those who supplied pigeons for the war effort.

The Royal Pigeon Racing Association | Pigeons in War
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

For dogs in German paratroops units

I have only the box....a lot of money on ebay.de !!!!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Default Pigeon container for military or civilian use?

I have no experience with such items. I'm wondering if this container for pigeons or ..? Likewise, do you recognize any signs that point to military use? I only found a few photos where the pigeon container is tied to the body instead of the leg?

Thx. Regards

?

Animals at war, one of many reasons I respect Great Britain, their love of animals

A WW2 German dog harness. Unfortunately I no longer have a dog to place it on so I can’t show how it fits. It would appear to be for a smaller dog, I don’t think it would fit a German Shepherd / Alsatian. All I need now is the lead. And the collar. And a taxidermy dog.

A National Union of Racing Pigeons (NURP) leg identification ring. This ring shows that the bird was born in 1939. NURP pigeons were used as carrier pigeons during the war. I believe that there was a book published just after the war which lists all of the birds used as carrier pigeons, however, it is quite rare and expensive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast