Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

Article about: I love the pigeon display mate, really great stuff!

?

Default Re: Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I know I said that animals were often forgotten about, but does nobody have anything!
    Surely the Germans had a belt buckle or cap for a dog handler or horse groom? (They seem to have one for every other branch of the military and beyond!). Do none of relic collectors have a rusty horse shoe from Russia? Any of the medal collectors a Dickin medal? Any of Allied collectors a dog parachute (ParaData | A living history of the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces) or horse gas mask?

Although I collect WW2 militaria below is a link to a piece of WW1 history I wouldn't mind owning!

Tortoise brought back in soldier's kitbag from Gallipoli almost 100 years ago is looking for new owner | Mail Online

I have a complete set of horse shoes from a German trench in Bryansk. They are from the same horse. I also have the stirrups. We find quite a lot of horse equipment out there. I thought the horse shoes was something else. A big signal on the detector.

I can do some pics if needed

Regards, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

That would be brilliant Lars. I would be interested to see any horse related items. I'm surprised that you don't find more horse equipment given how many horses the Wehrmacht used or is it that these items are not normally recovered as there is little or no interest in them?

?

Do you know what these dogs were used for? The 'rolls' on their backs are interesting
    Unfortunately I don't, hopefully one of the others can let us know.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

That would be brilliant Lars. I would be interested to see any horse related items. I'm surprised that you don't find more horse equipment given how many horses the Wehrmacht used or is it that these items are not normally recovered as there is little or no interest in them?
    I think it because of lack of interest. I started collecting these items after i found the horse shoes. I dug deep to find them. I thought it was a helmet or something. I decided to keep them as good luck charm. After that i kept a pair of stirrups i found. Now i will keep all horse related items. I have earlier found lots of horse "stuff". There is lots of it out there of course.

Regards, Lars

I suppose the problem is that a rusty horse shoe is a rusty horse shoe and will never be as good as a helmet or gun! It does seem a shame though that despite all of the various countries and forces using a large number and variety animals (whether for work or as 'front line' pets) very little appears to remain in collections to represent their efforts during numerous wars.

?

Here they are. Note the shoes are from the same horse. Front and rear

The pic loader are making trouble again again, so click on the link to see a general view.

PICT0012.jpg Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got? Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got? Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

?

Yes Grimebox. Part of the problem. Also it's usually heavy. Now i am very happy about horse items

?

I am in the process of cleaning them

Hi all. Grimebox suggested I post some pictures of this recently acquired 8 bird pigeon drop canister/carrier. It was given to me by someone who was going to toss it, so I had to save it! I didn't know what it was but I am very glad for this website and the many wonderful users on it who have helped answer my questions. I may be listing it for sale onEbay or something like that because I have limited space and this it outside the items I collect. I would love to keep it now that I know what it was used for. So So COOL!!
    -Nicole
    Attachment 387969Attachment 387970Attachment 387971Attachment 387972Attachment 387973Attachment 387974Attachment 387975

Speckled Jim wearing a WW2 British cardboard/fibre leg capsule.
    I have also shown the other variants of carrier pigeon capsule that I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast