MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Any American Civil War items anyone?

Article about: Here are some of my American Civil War cavalry sabers. Left to right : Ames 1840 Cavalry saber, dated 1846, PDL Officers Cavalry saber, S&K second contract cavalry saber, Thomas Griswold

?

My collection consist of a 1858 Remington .44 caliber BP revolver that the serial # traces back to the Massachusetts Volunteer Cavalry Company D and a box of Bullets(Miniball's) both Union and Confederate. I do have several Hundred dollars of Confederate money around here some where. I think Its worth about $10 now!!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any American Civil War items anyone?
    P
    Many

That is so true Wagriff these things are all but impossible to find these days gone in time I guess. My dad once had a stars and bars as they were called he bought down south Alabama in the 1950's where his dad lives he always thought it was a reunion flag though I wish I knew what happened to it. In the 1890's they made copies of some of the stuff especially for GAR (Grand Army of Republic) Union bunch Confederates had them too I forget the name of them. Europeans especially German and Irish immigrants played a huge part in ACW there was a whole army in SW Missouri know as General Franz Seigel army they were union troops and were equipped with Mexican War surplus material Grey wool shirts, 1842 Smooth bore muskets canteens from Mexican war etc. General Seigel was in the German army in the 1840's and came over here to organize troops from German speaking immigrants. timothy

Don't be so quick to dismiss Confederate currency, Phil! it's becoming quite respectable now. People have "discovered" it! Even Lincoln had a $5 CSA bill in his wallet when he was shot...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Walkwolf's NCO Ames sword there are two like it in the Carthage MO CW meuseum and one in the courthouse (Burned down in 1861 by Confederate MO Guard troops) It was rebuilt after the war that is attributed to General Seigel even though they were NCO swords and a 1840 model also. timothy

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I Might have a photo of the Alabama flag, Doug-I'll have to hunt through my albums if I get time. As I recall, it May be in the one photo-it was hanging on the wall at the time. Nowadays, you would never Dream of hanging such a textile. It was made of heavy homespun cloth and featured the stars from the back side through cut outs in the fabric. It was the classic CSA "X" with stars on the red background field and had a heavy coarse white cloth edge strip to attach it to the pole. To find such an iconic flag today would be the equivalent of the price of a good sports car, I know. It ended up in the collection of a oil company owner in Michigan and I remember that he had papers made up for it from some museum expert and I haven't heard of it since. I suppose I probably should have hung onto it, but back then you could still Find such pieces if you looked hard enough and had the right contact. The ones you see today are usually tattered rags now. I'll have to hunt through the photos(now you've got me curious about it) and see if I can find one of it!
    Such an iconic piece of history! I can envision a classic display of ACW rifles, Kepi's from both sides, officers swords and a battle flag from both armies.

Those things we should have kept, eh!?!

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Such an iconic piece of history! I can envision a classic display of ACW rifles, Kepi's from both sides, officers swords and a battle flag from both armies.
    You should not just envision this thought, you should make it a reality.
    Don't forget the Pistols!!!!!!

You did mention trading in your war room thread?????
    Just saying!!!!!!Lol
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Member RoyA had an incredible ACW collection of pistols. I live not far from him and saw some great pistols at his place. He traded them to our mutual ACW collecting friend and Roy got an incredible Uhlanen grouping in return.

?

CW stuff was plentiful and affordable in the late 60s and 70s then kind of dried up in the 80s.
    I had several pieces attributal to Gen. Stand Watie's Mounted Rifles, 1st and 2nd regiments but they have moved on to other collections. The Cookson Hills in east central Oklahoma was a good place to go looking. That was where my Dads family came from. I speak a little Cherokee and was accepted into homes in the hills and mountains down there. I still have a large extended family in that part of the country. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a relative of some kind. Red or White.
    Last edited by SteveR; 12-07-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Well...no photo in the album, but there might be a couple of other spots to search. The one in the album vanished, as I remember, because it had an ex-fiance in the frame near it, so the wife made a small adjustment to the book years ago, she says. I do remember that it was flanked by the Memphis Novelty Works Staff Officer and the McElroy Cavalry on the other side. Above I had the Ames Cutlass and the New Orleans Cutlass crossed.

If nothing else, I Do have a very nice Abraham Lincoln document on the living room wall that I just remembered when I saw it hanging there beneath a large photo of Lincoln colored by James Nance. The document is in perfect condition and has a fully written and dark signature of Lincoln on it-along with Caleb Blood Smith's, the Secretary of the Interior at the time. Smith was only in office less than 2 years before he quit and died 2 years later of poor health, so his signature is actually scarcer than Lincoln's, but, naturally, Lincoln trumps the value. My wife actually likes the pair, so she, surprisingly, allowed me to hang the pair in the front room. I could try my hand at photographing it, if anyone wanted to see them...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I would like to see it.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast