Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection

Article about: Some montage pictures of those not shown in my other collection threads.

Default Re: British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection

I have to admit Tom that space is becoming a bit of an issue, more for the tunics than headgear though, but I reckon I can squeeze in a few more caps as there are still a few I want to get, a wartime Beret is probably top of my wants list.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection
    P
    Many

Wait till I win the lotto, I'll build a new house just to house the collection...
    Tunics would be great to collect, but very expensive in my chosen field and hard to hide from the wife.
    I used to have a complete tunic for the SA army bushwar era, with all the extras, but sold it all off when I started collecting German stuff.
    Just as well because my wife really didn't like it "clogging" up the place.
    Only still have a few items left from the unit I served in.
    Good luck with the search for a beret.

Tom

?

Hi Jerry

Some nice FS caps again mate, however, there is one that I would query and that is that is the one with the Grenadiers cap badge on, I am sure that this is wrong.
    As far as I am aware, the Grenadiers, and the rest of the Guards Brigade for that matter, were NOT issued the FS cap, but actually retained the stiff topped SD cap.
    I have a copy of my late grand-fathers original 1157 kit issue form, (he joined the Grenadiers in September 1939), and there is no mention of the FS cap on the 1157 form.

As usual, I am willing to be corrected by others more knowledgeable than me, BUT, on this one, I am 100% positive.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

The berets are out there, it's just even a common one has got expensive by British items standards and as for paras or similar they are far more than a German cap would be, except SS. There is a moth eaten beret for the RWF which is £85 on a dealers site, but a lot for one in such poor condition IMO. No rush and I'll find a sensibly priced example sooner or later.
    Regards,

Jerry

Beautiful caps and nicely photographed.

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi Jerry

Some nice FS caps again mate, however, there is one that I would query and that is that is the one with the Grenadiers cap badge on, I am sure that this is wrong.
    As far as I am aware, the Grenadiers, and the rest of the Guards Brigade for that matter, were NOT issued the FS cap, but actually retained the stiff topped SD cap.
    I have a copy of my late grand-fathers original 1157 kit issue form, (he joined the Grenadiers in September 1939), and there is no mention of the FS cap on the 1157 form.

As usual, I am willing to be corrected by others more knowledgeable than me, BUT, on this one, I am 100% positive.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Ian you could be right on this and it is something that I wondered about as soon as I realised it was a grens badge and buttons. Strange that it has the Grens buttons as well as the badge, but they could have been replaced at any time. It was the 39 dated cap that I was buying rather than a Grens FS cap, so not a big problem if it is wrong and also it should be remembered that a lot of strange things happened that do not fit the rules. The buttons and badge can be replaced if it is wrong and the price was very good for a 39 dated FS cap as an unbadged 39 example on a dealers site was over twice the price I paid for this, so either way I will have done well out of this.
    Regards,

Jerry

Had a quick look on the Brit badge forum and found a thread with two pictures of someones Grandfather who served with the Grenadiers during WWII and one shows him wearing a FS cap and the other in the SD cap, so it seems they did have the FS cap. Sorry but the pictures are very small.
    Attached Images Attached Images British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection  British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection 
    Regards,

Jerry

Still not sure on the badge and buttons being original to it as the buttons are Edward the VII and would pre date WWI not Edward VIII as I thought they were.

Interestingly BL Davis has a picture on p110 of British Uniforms & Insignia of members of the Coldstream guards all wearing FS caps from 1942.
    Regards,

Jerry

A last word on the Grens badged FS cap as it has been suggested on another forum that it might be for the Royal household Home Guard unit, as they wore this badge and it might account for it having the earlier buttons.

Two new additions, an unknown pre WWI blue FS cap with a grey piped crown and a probably post WWII cap for the 17th/21st Lancers, said by an ex Lancer to be a senior NCO's/WO's undress cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection   British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection  

Regards,

Jerry

A new addition and some pictures of some of my Tommy helmets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection   British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection  

British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection   British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection  

British (& commonwealth) Headgear collection  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast