Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

British DPM Camouflage

Article about: G'day All, Figured to start this one, in my opinion it is one of the best ever camo patterns devised! S95, 85 & 68 patt (worse for wear correct me if I'm wrong) displayed

Quote by madtheswine99 View Post
    Its an entrenching tool, not a shovel lol. I have two sets of these with ponchos, entrenching tools and respirator and water bottle which is also missing.
    It is actually called a shovel. Show what you have?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British DPM Camouflage
    P
    Many

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    Most infantry grunts swapped out the kidney pouches for water bottle pouches as it was a hell of a lot more comfortable, as for that large pack it was placed into the nearest skip and a private purchase bergan was used.
    Must say out of aesthetics they do look good though.

Just another boring shot to add

Adding in to the British set a late Mk6 helmet 2011 and a 2006 cover

Do the Chinese make these as well? as this late Mk6 has no maker.

'09 unissued I guess Cooneen Watts & Stone LTD out sourced these to china? order no.s to a chinese mfg?
    I'll preserve the '09 cover in the bag unopened to spite some that care not of this rubbish.

More offensive DPM to cloud the www bandwidth! cold weather mittens. if anything a code ref!

I don't think I've ever seen the inners (liners) of these things before...'nice mint set, great colours.

We have the first big Fair of the UK calendar next weekend, it'll be interesting to see how much DPM is still being sold...it wasn't long ago when everyone was desperate for MTP as it was coming out...I even bought a Mk6A just for the cover (which you can now buy sealed-up for a couple of quid).

Every camo has its day in the sun -'looks like DPM's turn...here at least...

Quote by madtheswine99 View Post
    Its an entrenching tool, not a shovel lol. I have two sets of these with ponchos, entrenching tools and respirator and water bottle which is also missing.
    Actually the correct title for the '58 patt item was "Shovel Infantry Lightweight" I still have one that I actually find easier to use than a garden spade, mind you the neighbours think it a bit weird to see me down on my knees to use it!!

It was carried on the yolk in the fitting at the top using the peg inside the which passed through the hole in the 'T' of the handle. When the large pack was worn the shovel was carried in the same fitting on the flap of the pack. On top of this there is a pair of long interconnecting straps used to attach the steel helmet if not worn.
    The shovel was issued "one between two" with the other member of the pair or "buddy" carrying a short pickaxe. The pickaxe helve (handle) was carried the same way as the shovel whilst the pickaxe head (mattock) was carried in the holder on top of the poncho roll in which the NBC suit was rolled together with the poncho (tight fit!).

The item known as the entrenching tool is of the type currently used similar to many others accross the world and was originally part of the PLCE (Personal Load Carrying Equipment) that superceeded '58 patt webbing around the same time as CS95 clothing came in (loads of overlapping issues at this time) PLCE was initially all green followed by DPM (waistbelt remained all green).

I'll "dig" out my shovel (pun intended!!) in a bit and post a pic or two. I know I haven't got a pick but if I find one I will post that too.

There are quite a few more components to the '58 patt webbing system such as bino case, compass case, pistol holster, smg mag pouch etc. I will see what I can show for reference.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

As promised here is the "Shovel Infantry Lightweight". At 29" length it is considerably shorter than the "Shovel GS" seen attached to vehicles etc along with "Pickaxe GS" EG on the tailgate of a Landrover.

The blade of the Shovel GS is slightly larger too. The matching Pickaxe is larger in all dimensions.

The Shovel Infantry Lightweight pictured here was used by me to joyfully dig holes in the floor in all weathers;

British DPM CamouflageBritish DPM CamouflageBritish DPM CamouflageBritish DPM CamouflageBritish DPM CamouflageBritish DPM Camouflage

It is dated 1979 and is made by Spear & Jackson.

The reddish colour is an undercoat of Red Oxide not rust and the topcoat is standard NATO green. It is typical for these to have been repainted regularly after use without any attempt to strip back previous layers.

When worn on the webbing yoke these things could be literally "a pain in the back" if you fell the wrong way as was also the case with the pick helve.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-20-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast