Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

British DPM Camouflage

Article about: G'day All, Figured to start this one, in my opinion it is one of the best ever camo patterns devised! S95, 85 & 68 patt (worse for wear correct me if I'm wrong) displayed

Quote by Composite View Post
    Thanks for the off-forum photo.....it’s not overly well lit......but smooth end goes in first......:-)
    wait give me a sec I'll correct it, pm in a min!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British DPM Camouflage
    P
    Many

?

I had been wearing that CBA from 1994 to around 2004 & never knew what that clip was for??.. Mind I probably looked at it once & put it to the back of my mind!! lol. Good luck with your quest. Cheers Terry.

Surprised I've not come across this thread before!

Perhaps I can make a few (hopefully useful) contributions ...

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    ... I am not sure if there was the odd piece of temerate DPM floating around in Afghanistan (Op Herrick) as I was retired by then but I think it is far from impossible. I will ask my son, he may have seen some.
    [/ATTACH]
    MTP was only being issued from around HERRICK 12 & only really fully fielded during my tour on HERRICK 13 (the number is the count of 6 month 'roulements' not the year - I was there Sep 09 to Mar 10).

During the DDPM 'era' before that, some troops certainly carried temperate DPM with them (generally a smock to throw on) for tasks that transitioned between 'open country' & the "Green Zone".

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    unmarked rubbish gas mask bag, I guess dates to the transition period of the MTP?
    PLCE has its own 'phases' that overlap (considerably) rather than aligning with the uniform changes. PLCE came in around 90/91 in Olive Green. Apologies for the non-DPM'ness but I sold a couple of partial sets of early stuff a while back so here's a picture (the ammo & utility pouches with press stud fasteners are really early, possibly even trials version):

British DPM Camouflage

Thus, your Respirator Haversack dates anywhere from the 'facelift' to DPM in around 95 through to a couple of years ago when production switched to MTP … I'm not actually sure when that happened - I was issued a new MTP set of PLCE in 2017 but the kit had been around for a while by then, but not as long as MTP clothing!

Edit: In fact, not even sure there are any (what I would call) 'S10' haversacks in MTP - when the General Service Respirator (GSR) replaced the Avon ones, it was fielded with an MTP 'carry case' (not a haversack anymore but can't remember new nomenclature) from the start & possibly pre-dated other PLCE in MTP.

Edit 2: Just been into MTP thread - GSR has a 'Field Pack'.

I can maybe add some other DPM clothing items / variations for reference, but it'll have to wait until my older stuff & I are in the same location!
    Last edited by brickie501; 03-10-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: grammar

If you’ve been “in” mate you may wanna throw a glance at the Mk7 helmet thread, the one about MTP and the one on the Virtus lid....when you get a mo! :-)

I've got Mk7 thread open in another window

Knock yourself out Mr Brick.....just pleeeeaaaase don’t open yet another bleedin’ thread on them!

:-)

Cool

Quote by Composite View Post
    Knock yourself out Mr Brick.....just pleeeeaaaase don’t open yet another bleedin’ thread on them!

:-)
    No worries there - never did get one issued … in spite of my best efforts … "Ally saves lives" as we used to say!
    Last edited by brickie501; 03-10-2019 at 12:10 AM.

Post DPM PLCE and CS95 Uniform Items

Actually, I can post some DPM items now after all, at least some 'basics'...

First some DPM PLCE; set up as worn during my time in 16 Air Assault Brigade over a decade ago
    This is an enhanced 'Other Arms' configuration ie 2nd ammo pouch like the infantry, the age-old additional utility pouches but no real 'bells & whistles':
    British DPM CamouflageBritish DPM Camouflage
    Much like the clothing, there can be considerable colour variation (which mine shows, having picked up components at various times & in various states of 'wear'). Note utility strap through lower pouch loops; binding everything tightly together:

Next some spare & less common components eg LMG (Minimi) ammo pouch centre left. Also some examples of modification … one 'individual' - note ammo pouch with large Velcro lid fastenings … the other 'unit' but, very unusually (as things there are generally 'issue kit only'), directed during basic training. My instructors were most insistent everyone in my platoon each purchased a 'Hippo Pad' for our webbing (dare I suggest they were on commission to the local army / surplus outlet?!). RHS of picture shows this marvel of comfort (it was a great help actually) attached to PLCE setup similar to that above:
    British DPM Camouflage

Combat Soldier 95 (CS95) Uniform / Working Dress items...

Jacket Combat Lightweight (shirt):
    Hadn't paid it any mind before, but note description of 'Woodland DP' (Disruptive Pattern)

'Field Jacket':
    In this case 'described as 'DPM'. Clearly, in this timeframe, a hood was obviously considered unnecessary though!

Replacing the above, in a CS95 'facelift', was the 'Combat Smock':
    Note return to 'Woodland DP' description. I was definitely issued these jackets in the above order. I had favoured an older 'Windproof (AKA Artic) Smock' for field use until getting this smock & recall (having got the 'Gucci' new item) keeping the previous Field Jacket only because it was easier to iron for 'smarter' occasions.

Finally, something slightly more unusual. Not just any old 'goretex' trousers but "Salopettes, Petroleum Protective, DPM Waterproof, Moisture Vapour Permeable, IRR"
    There would have been an equivalent jacket - I have a newer one in MTP but not the salopettes!

Hope these details / recollections are of interest to folk out there
    Last edited by brickie501; 03-10-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Talking

Looks like at least a couple of you are interested in my hoarded uniform & 'dits' from my military career!

I'm happy to recount my relevant experiences for anyone into the subject / militaria collecting. I wasn't as interested in preserving military history when I first joined up … but I think, if you have any such tendency early on, you become more inclined that way as you get older!

Unfortunately, going forward, I don't think it will be as easy to research more recent times (since the digital age). Documents won't come into the public domain in large numbers now they just get 'published' on Defence Intranet for staff to go looking for … once they are no longer considered sensitive the public might be able to go looking in some 'data warehouse' … but trying to understand 'transitions' (as threads like this do) won't be easy unless someone thought to save each document version; & I've noticed that not being done as rigorously as it was with 'hard copy'

The British Army has always been fuelled by 'Rumour Control' so this may just be 'what I heard' & not 'fact' but, doing my bit to counter 'lost' history, in the spirit of providing a lead to any amateur researcher...

Desert DPM (DDPM) makes the odd appearance on this thread & I assume it's acceptable to talk about it...

In fact it may be the ongoing legacy of 'DPM' too because, when MTP was launched, I'm sure I heard that it was still considered to be In Service (which plain DPM is not - at least not as uniform, since there are DPM 'webbing' items still in use; on a 'waste out' basis to slow cost of replacing with MTP equivalent)…

Specifically it was both DDPM and Artic items that were to be retained - snow & 'sandy' deserts (which Iraq & Afghanistan were, in the main, not) being the environments where MTP is not very effective camouflage.

If indeed true, what I don't know is whether any DDPM is still being produced / stockpiled or whether it is just considered In Service in order that it can be procured 'just in time' (usually 'just too late') when required?

Either way I suspect that any current/future variations will not become available in significant numbers for us collectors!

Last couple of my infamous 'composite photos' of this sort of kit as I'm not 100% sure "webbing" was what was intended to be displayed here … but its all DPM, of some description, & contempory to the later uniforms

Also includes some of the sort of DPM items that are, despite switch to MTP, still soldiering on at the moment...

SA80 Bayonet frog has been replaced by MTP version & different (VIRTUS?) style is now supplementing that too (an original olive 'Mk1' PLCE frog included for interest - note early belt mounting setup). Machete frogs remain in use on 'waste out' basis:
    British DPM Camouflage

Similarly, the DPM weapon mounted 'soft belt boxes' for the LMG (Minimi) are used until they can be used no more. Not sure if an MTP version of them (or PLCE pouch) is / was produced because I think even the weapon (most having been procured under a UOR) is 'obsolescent' & may not be replaced when worn out! Out of interest, the Aussie 'Jelly Bean' camo version shown was UK issue - whatever was available quickly was ordered, at least to start with, for a UOR:
    British DPM Camouflage

Various holsters, now defunct due to fielding of Glock pistol (which has a special holster; covering the trigger to enhance safety if carried 'made ready'), plus other pouches:
    British DPM Camouflage
    Clockwise from top; AFV Body Armour / Load Vest holster panel, late DPM PLCE belt-mounted holster, PLCE 'Other Arms' shoulder/belt holster 'kit', Maritime Counter Terrorism assault vest rifle mag pouch (plus respirator case mount), DDPM 40mm grenade pouches (single & quad), Minefield Extraction Kit pouch, DDPM drop-leg panel & holster.

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast