Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

cheap way to keep your cloth items away from moths.

Article about: Hello all, I have found a cheap and easy way to display many cloth items without the fear of it being a snack for bugs and moths. First of all, you need is a sheet that is found in binders t

Default cheap way to keep your cloth items away from moths.

Hello all,
    I have found a cheap and easy way to display many cloth items without the fear of it being a snack for bugs and moths.
    First of all, you need is a sheet that is found in binders to store paper.

Next stage put your item into the sheet.
    You should have half the sheet on top, fold this behind and it should look like this

Simple as that, a quick, easy and cheap way to keep your cloth items safe.

Thanks for looking and happy new year.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement cheap way to keep your cloth items away from moths.
    P
    Many

Default Re: cheap way to keep your cloth items away from moths.

Good idea!...

?

better seal it though, the sneaky little bastards won't be stopped otherwise. I use also some small moth repellant paper sheets which don't stain garments and I add them in each envelope
    Regards

Matt

Actually pretty much a bad idea. First make sure your sleeves are neutral archival plastic, not from the drug store, don't use and old card stock or paper they are acidic, you need buffered acid free material and don't seal it you'll create a microclimate that can do nasty things. Lastly moths may already have laid eggs on any dirty garment. Unless it is clean or fumigated you are created the ideal gestation environment. Moth larvae actually eat the proteins left on wool fibres, sweat, etc. not the wool directly - it happens to be in the way of dinner. Do 2 freeze thaw cycles on your cloth items if you don't have more sophisticated equipment around. Vacume the item all over, focus on any seams. place it in the freezer at home, ideally as cold a possible, leave it for a few weeks, then thaw to room temp for a week, freeze again for three weeks, revacum and you should be good. heat also works to kill eggs, they can be dormant for decades and when conditions are right - moth larvae hatch and eat. A good home steamer the as high as possible works too. But that can affect dyes etc, so I'd recommend freezing for a basic treatment. For active infestation sealing the item in a plastic bin with napthalene (mothballs) out of contact from the fibres for a few weeks will do the trick, then vaum, then freeze.

CCI Notes 3/3

CCI Notes 3/1

good overview on moths:
    Clothes Moths | University of Kentucky Entomology

?

Wow...that was professional and interesting! I have always used those plastic food bags you can seal, adding naphtalene paper straps inside.
    Regards

Matt

Wow, didn't realise the eggs could survive that long!...

I ' am OK, for me the only weapons : light, air an thyme essence I buy in my pharmacy. 20 euros, it's a lot of money for a little bottle.

All I use are Ziplock Bags or Mylar bags. Bugs hate Mylar. Never have had bug probs with either.

?

Another collector told me that he put wool patches and other smaller items in his freezers to kill moth eggs, He told me that its always worked for him but would recommend doing it with small its that are cloth only