Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

French Foreign Legion in Algeria display

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, I thought I would start to demonstrate a few pieces from one of my favourite collecting genres that being the French Foreign Legion in Algeria. I will be showing items

?

Default French Foreign Legion in Algeria display

Hi Fellow collectors, I thought I would start to demonstrate a few pieces from one of my favourite collecting genres that being the French Foreign Legion in Algeria. I will be showing items that were used or at least fit in with the time frame of this conflict. Many thanks for looking in advance,Opex.

First I will show my favourite French TAP 47/56 Jacket,to which I have attached the following 2nd REP (2e régiment étranger de parachutistes) items:

Médaille commémorative des opérations de sécurité et de maintien de l'ordre en Afrique du Nord (North Africa Security and Order Operations Commemorative Medal) issued from the 31 October 1954 to the 1st July 1964 , Legionnaires had served at least 90 consecutive day's service to receive this medal.

25e division parachutiste patch ( 25th Division Parachutist Established in 1956, in the context of the war in Algeria on The 1st June 1956 , the 25th Parachute Division was created in 5th military region from the 25th DIAP and PCBs (colonial paratroopers brigade) contaning five infantry regiments, two cavalry regiments and a parachute artillery brigade.The French Army created two parachute divisions in 1956, the 10th parachute division (10e Division Parachutiste, 10e DP) under the command of General Jacques Massu and the 25th Parachute Division (25e Division Parachutiste, 25e DP) under the command of General Sauvagnac. The 10e DP formed from a looser 1955-formed previous Groupement Parachutiste d'Intervention, the 25e DP was established from the 25th Airportable Division which had been previously stationed in Provence. In the aftermath of the Algiers putsch, both formations were disbanded and their regiments merged into the Light Intervention Division (Division Légère d'Intervention).

French Parachustist Brevet badge, this example shows that the chrome finish has worn off ( this is actually a French Indo-China issue brevet)

Fourragère,which has been worn from 1954 to the present day by 2nd Foreign Parachute Battalion ( 2e BEP), and the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment (2e REP.)The striped "Olive" on the end of the Fourragère features the colours of the Croix de Guerre,which was awarded for the fourth and sixth citations in Dien Bien Phu in 1954.

Epaulette slip on rank for Legionnaire de 1ere classe ( First Class Legionnaire).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement French Foreign Legion in Algeria display
    P
    Many

Great stuff

I love reading about the FFL but have never purchased any items

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Great stuff

I love reading about the FFL but have never purchased any items

Nick
    Many thanks Nick, reading about and collecting FFL items is without doubt an obsession for me, but sadly an expensive obsession, it took me many years to source just this display, in the near future I will post up more items that fit in with this conflict.

Thanks again for looking and for your kind words

?

Treillis de combat Mle 47 Jacket and Trousers dated 1954, a very similar design to the US M-43 from which this style originated from, first issued for the Indo-China conflict but still worn in Algeria.

?

TTA47 "toutes armes" or "modèle general jacket and Trousers in Lizard print, the tabs have been removed from the trouser hems (customised for Blousing into boots?)

?

In the context of boots worn,here are Ranger Boots “brodequin à jambière attenante Mle 1952"

And the “Patauga jungle boots” these examples are made by Wissart in France.

?

Beret Vert as used by the 2eme Regiment Etrangere Parachutiste in Algeria.

?

Mle-51 OTAN and Mle TAP- 56 Helmet examples.

?

French Lizard print shelter half ( same principle as the WW2 German Zeltbahn)

?

The picture hopefully demonstrates the differences in the colouration and pattern of the Lizard print on the items shown.