Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Medal Groups

Article about: As I continue to try to "learn" the nature of this forum, I seek things to post that may be of greater interest than most of what I have put up. While German material is in no way

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default German Medal Groups

As I continue to try to "learn" the nature of this forum, I seek things to post that may be of greater interest than most of what I have put up.

While German material is in no way even near the core of my interest, a few German medal groups have somehow crept in. I thought I'd share them here. There are very few Nazi things, and this is intentional, as I don't "do" the Nazi "stuff".

I hope some find these of interest.

2. # ADS

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default Re: German Medal Groups

I might add that, while most of the "groups" you see in this dark time of eBay are fakes, these are older, good, and have been vetted by experts with no financial interest in their authenticity.

Let me start with one of my darlings, for obvious reasons. It has not aged perfectly, but consider the age . . . .

-- Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse, 1813

-- Kriegs-Denkmünze “1813/1814”

-- Erinnerungs-Kriegsdenkmünze für 1813-1815, 1863

-- Hohenzollersche Denkmünze für Kämpfer 1848-49, 1852
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Medal Groups  

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Another, later.

-- Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse, 1870 - With jubilee clasp.

-- Prussia: Kroneorden, Kreuz 4. Klasse

-- Kriegsdenkmünze für Kämpfer, 1870-71 - Clasps: PARIS, LOIGNY-POUPRY, METZ. For 17th Infantry Division?

-- Erinnerungskreuz “Treuen Kriegern 1866”

-- Zentenarmedaille, 1897

-- Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe - A late add-onto the bar.

Ed_Haynes
    ?

And . . .

-- Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse, an weißen band, für Nichtkämpfer, 1870/71

-- Krieger-Verdienstmedaille, am Nichtkämpferband

-- Kriegsdenkmünze für Kämpfer, 1870

-- Erinnerungskreuz 1866 für Nichtkämpfer

-- Kriegsdenkmünze für Nichtkämpfer, 1864

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Now on to the Great War.

To be honest, one thing that bores me about German medals is that there is no naming, not even numbering, that allows you to link these "things" to an individual and to recapture their history. This simple group is an exception. It came with a ton of documents related to him, his family, and even his son-in-law's school report cards.

Pionier Richard Schwartz, 268th Pioneer Company, 17th Reserve Division - Born 1 June 1893 in Schwerin.

(I have included his picture.)

-- Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse, 1914 - For "brave conduct in the English trenches on 21 May 1916."

-- MECKLENBURG-SCHWERIN: Militär-Verdienstkreuz, II. Klasse, 1914 - Document dated 21 June 1916 (one calendar month after Schwartz's brave and near fatal deed).

-- Ehrenkreuz für Tielnehmer am Welttkriege, für Frontkämpfer - The document calls him "Messenger" living in Neustadt.

-- Schwarzes Verwundetenabzeichen für die Armee

–- large buttonhole ribbons

-- small buttonhole ribbons

Many letters from his son-in-law, Hauptwachtmeister (artillery? - Feldpost number 35371-C) Kurt Krumrei from Stalingrad (?). In one letter he observes (rough summary) in an Air Field Post (!) letter dated 10 December 1942 and, as noted on the envelope, received by his wife, Richjard's daughter, on Christmas Eve. He quotes a character from a book that "this campaign is no express train" and notes that in the spring there will be much more to clear out these Bolshevik scum ("spuck" is literally "spit") and put them under the earth. You'll be hearing about here on the evening radio news unless Grampa is still keeping the radio turned down. (Here we learn that ex-Pioneer Richard Schwartz does not, will not, REFUSES to listen to the war news. What nightmares was the 49 year old reliving?) But then you'll have heard from other places anyway. We're getting the OKH Report by telephone, dictated to a typewriter, and copied out for us the next day. You are amazed. Jokes about his bunker "villa" and the fine "furnishings" taken from a Communist Party "of course for such things" building, noting that the local Russians have NO furniture.

Kurt's last letter came 20 December 1942 from, I believe, Stalingrad. He was shown as MIA and while his wife, Friedel, Richard Schwarz's daughter, looked for him after the war but never found any news.

Ex-Pioneer Richard Schwartz, alive at Christmas 1942, died sometime before 10 April 1943. Badly wounded "Grampa," the old Last War soldier who couldn't bear to listen to Goebbel's war lies and kept the sound off, the horror silent, the lies dimmed, has passed into the greatest silence, not yet 50. Was it Stalingrad that killed him, too – back "safe" at home?

Far more than just "things", when you have the material to do the research.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Medal Groups   German Medal Groups  

Ed_Haynes
    ?

A few more, in case anyone is interested.

-- Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse, 1914

-- Baden: Verdienstmedaille

-- Ehrenkreuz für Tielnehmer am Welttkriege, für Frontkämpfer

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Another

-- BRUBSWICK: Kriegsverdienstkreuz am blau-gelben Bande (für Kombatten)

Attached Images Attached Images German Medal Groups 

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Likely a Brunswick civilian father of a soldier killed in World War I.

-- Brunswick: Kriegsverdienstkreuz am gelb-blauen Bande
    (für Nichtcombatten)

-- Ehrenkreuz für Tielnehmer am Welttkriege für Witwen und Eltern

Ed_Haynes
    ?

One more for now, more if there is interest.

-- Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. mit Schwerten

-- HESSE: Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen mit Mild Großherzog Ludvigs IV., silberne Medaille mit R-Inschrift “FÜR / TAPFERKEIT”

-- Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen 2. Stufe (für 25jährige treue Dienstleistung) für Beamte, Ausgestellte und Arbeiter im öffentlichen Dienst

-- ribbon bar

Hi Ed, you mentioned the Feldpost number in the named grouping, here is the info for it:

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Kraftzug-Staffel schwere Artillerie-Abteilung 737,

(28.4.1940-19.9.1940) gestrichen,

(1.3.1942-7.9.1942) Stab, Stabs- u. 1.-3. Batterie u. leichte Kolonne Heeres-Flakartillerie-Abteilung 282,

dann Stab IV (Flak), 10.-12. Batterie u. leichte Kolonne Artillerie-Regiment 160,

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) gestrichen (Stalingrad),

(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 5.6.1944 Stab II u. 5.-8. Kompanie Grenadier-Brigade (bo.) 761,

(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 16.10.1944 Stab II u. 5.-8. Kompanie Grenadier-Regiment 234.

I have never collected Imperial but I always enjoy seeing and learning more about them.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast