Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Had to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpper

Article about: Update Gents, after 7 months of restoration the bow is fully funtional agian, having a new double string, missing parts have been handmade by a blacksmith and, the string was made by a bow e

Default Re: Had to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpper

Gerrit

A piece of history of mankind!

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Had to buy this 16th Century German Crossbow called a schnäpper
    P
    Many

Great piece. Unbelievable find and in great condition. Congrats

Jason

Awesome piece!

?

I think i leave the broken springs the way they are, the pieces are put together with rivets, so removing them so the springs can be welded is a difficult task.
    ( 1 spring is below the sight and shout press the hook down that holds the twin cables, that can be restored as it is, its acessable, but the second is part of the trigger case, thats the difficult one)
    I dont want to destroy its original looks, so i have to take it to a master blacksmith and talk about the possibilities i have with this one.
    The double cables are easily replaced, but that wouldnt be permitted in Holland.
    it would become an item of the firearms law because it had a tremendous power.
    Perhaps i make a leather dummy to restore it original looks.

I found this one on a website for second hand stuff, the same as where i buy 90% of my WW2 daggers.
    I seen it twice but both times it was removed before i could take action, had to talk to the misses first, LOL.
    my brother mailed him right away when he posted it for the third time.
    He inherited it from his grandfather and needed the money, lucky me
    He then called my brother, but it was a bit out of his league.....the rest is history.

Cheers,
    ger

Hi,
    Lucky you indeed.
    Dave.

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Couldnt resist this one, something completely different then the german WW2 stuff that i usually buy.
    this very weekend i bought a crossbow called a " schnapper".
    Its a german design and made by a master blacksmith ( see picture below of the mastermark)
    It was used in the 16th century to penetrate armour at 275 yards with lead or stone balls.
    Its also been used to shoot a type of burning arrow/rocket to set castles etc. on fire.
    Its made of iron and extremely rare.
    Its condition is fair but not completely working.
    The trigger mechanism needs some work, 2 springs are broken, otherwise its pretty good considering its been around since 1580.......
    Enjoy the pictures:
    first is a drawing made in the 16th century of the same one as i bought.
    1 is stored in the NationalGermania museum in Nurnberg ( Germany)

Mastermark:

Great find Gerrit!
    I really like these old weapons. If I were alive then, I am sure that I would probably be a blacksmith.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph

Nice crossbow, for sure. Used to live in Bavaria, saw many of these things in museums and castles.

I have a crossbow bolt from the 15th century AD. Its a diamond shaped, quad sided iron crossbow bolt from a Germanic site and circa 1450 AD. Guess that your crossbow would have fired similar bolts. It is about 3 inches / 7.5 cm long.

Al

Quote by Alexander View Post
    Hi Ralph

Nice crossbow, for sure. Used to live in Bavaria, saw many of these things in museums and castles.

I have a crossbow bolt from the 15th century AD. Its a diamond shaped, quad sided iron crossbow bolt from a Germanic site and circa 1450 AD. Guess that your crossbow would have fired similar bolts. It is about 3 inches / 7.5 cm long.

Al
    Sorry Al, this beautiful crossbow belongs to Gerrit.
    When I visited my relatives in Germany, I made it a point to visit as many castles, churches and museums as possible. I took as many photos of weapons rooms and collections as they would allow.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by Alexander View Post
    Hi Ralph

Al
    Thats the only place i ever saw crossbows like this one, in museums and castles.
    The Iron crossbows like the one i have are not seen that often tho, more the wood types,so im very happy with it
    Thanks for showing the bolt, i have found over 2000 coins, from celtic, roman thru the middleages with my detector, but never found a bolt, i did owned a spearblade ( iron 14th cent) but i will look for a few bolts now....

Cheers Ger

Wow can you post some pics of the coins? Are they in good condition?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast