Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Here is my Vet (my father) bring backs from WWII that I inherited last month

Article about: My father recently passed away. He was a WWII Tank Driver and was in the Battle of The Bulge. Ever since I can remember, these items were always kept nicely packaged and tucked away in a spe

Default Here is my Vet (my father) bring backs from WWII that I inherited last month

My father recently passed away.

He was a WWII Tank Driver and was in the Battle of The Bulge.

Ever since I can remember, these items were always kept nicely packaged and tucked away in a special WWII metal trunk in dad's bedroom closet.

I remember bringing the Officers Short Dress Bayonet and the Dagger to school for show and tell when I was in 5th grade in about 1970.
    I have better photos of the bayonet and the dagger that I should post, because I do not know everything on the engraving that is on the dress bayonet.

These should all be original and genuine as dad brought them back and they have been in our household forever.

Enjoy....and any info / input on what I have would be welcome.

Gary

Attachment 502668
    Attachment 502669
    Attachment 502670
    Attachment 502671

the flag is 10 feet 6 inches by 58 inches
    the small banner is 30 inches by 36 inches

ps: Actually the Wathers P38 I bought from him in December 2012. It has 2 matching number mags, the holster w/o the tool and the bring back papers. Very nice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Here is my Vet (my father) bring backs from WWII that I inherited last month
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Here is my Vet (my father) bring backs from WWII that I inherited last month

Nice assortment of items you father brought back do you have any pictures of his uniform or the division he was in

Default Re: Here is my Vet (my father) bring backs from WWII that I inherited last month

Welcome to the forum,you have some nice items from your father there,the smaller flag is a podium banner,the tri-angular flags look like car pennents and some political and RAD armbands etc. Leon.

?

Nice vet bring backs! Is that dress bayonette engraved? Would love to see some photos of that please.

Cheers, Pat

Fred Green
    ?

Hello Gary,

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine passed a few years ago. Always a little tough.

Your dad had some typicla GI bring back stuff. Officers dagger with hangers and portepee, A enlistedmans dress bayonet with scabbard and frog, Thelittle triangular pennants are from a bunting,2 2 nice political armbands and 3 great veteran association armbands. I like that the veterans pins were pinned right onto the armband, These were usually worn on the vet uniform or civilian suit. As mentioned earlier the small flag with the fringe is a podium banner and the other flag probably hung from the front of a building.
    My dad brought back Messerschmidt inturment panel insturments which he sold to another vet from his home town.

Fred

Thanks guys.

I do have 2 or 3 of his green army jackets, with all his medals hanging on them, but I have family to deal with on that as to who gets them.

I do have a patch that is supposedly of his tank battalion...I will photograph that later and post here.

Also, I have "somewhat" better photos of the engraving on the dress bayonet, but they are not studio quality. I will post them a bit later too.

Thanks again on the replies.

?

I would also like to see the engraving on the bayonet , real wartime engraved daggers and bayonets have been a continual talking point here,nice ,clear close ups will be very useful

Fred Green
    ?

Hello Gary,

Finding out your dad's unit is a first step in knowing where he was and where he went during the war. Alot of time discharge papers have the unit on it, but a uniform with a sleeve patch and unit crest can get you down to the regimental level. There are lists of "The Order of Battle" which tell all of the pertinant information of a unit to include campaign fought in, and mob and demob dates.

Will love to see the photos when you post them.

Fred

Here are more photos of the engraved dress bayonet.

The small black bits on the blade above the engraving are bits from the inside of the frog. The blade appears to never have been sharpened after it left the mfg.

The soldier next to the engraving is standing and blowing a bugle. I would like to know what branch of the military that could have been. I have seen on the web, that different soldier poses may mean different branches.

The leather washer on the blade next to the handle even appears new from mfg.
    The frog is black leather with no markings and very little wear.

The scabbard / sheath has a few scratches.

The green felt looks new.

I included a shot of the makers mark too

I apologize that the photos are not perfect.

maybe I should have posted these pics in the dagger / sword sub forum?

sorry if I goofed up on that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast