Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HITELMACHER, the first IDF hat

Article about: Hi there! My first post is one of my favorite items of my IDF collection: a Hitelmacher hat. It's the first genuine Israeli cap, in use from 1948 until the mid-50s. It was first manufactured

?

Default HITELMACHER, the first IDF hat

Hi there!

My first post is one of my favorite items of my IDF collection: a Hitelmacher hat.

It's the first genuine Israeli cap, in use from 1948 until the mid-50s. It was first manufactured abroad and then in Israel (this model is a late one, and it lacks the chinstrap).
    The most particular is the collapsable sides for neck-protection against the sun.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HITELMACHER, the first IDF hat
    P
    Many

?

Great piece! Wish I had one. I like all neck flap caps. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

MAP
    ?

now here is something we don't see everyday. Nice cap.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I've had one on my wish list for some time, but they getting expensive.
    Steve.

?

Yeah, I had to be patient and finally I found this one.

?

I can finally add to this thread.

This hat is the earlier version mentioned by Zahal. Neither of these models are common.

This version was made in the US as a donation for the Israelis in 1948 and went on to become the first homemade Israeli piece of kit.

The full story can be read here
    Israeli Army (IDF) Israeli-Made Hitelmacher Military Hat, early-mid 1950's, at Historama.com | The Online History Shop

What’s interesting about this hat is that, as stated in the link above, is whether or not the hats had these badges fitted. All the examples I have seen have had no badge or the early metal IDF badge.

With that in mind I approached this purchase with some caution and the assumption it had been added. The badges can be found, they were only produced in the early days, there are 4 on eBay at the moment bordering on optimistic to absurd prices.

The first point – was it ever fitted – below is an enlarged section of a photo on Zahal’s blog, clearly shows a group of soldiers with this type of hat and the badge on the front.
    IDF MILITARIA: HITELMACHER

Is it original to the hat, that’s a bit more difficult, I did speak to the seller (Israeli) after the we had closed the deal and they stated the hat came as it is, out of a storage unit in a bag of other similar period items. We can put the story to one side, but there was no reason on their part to embellish it.

Cap in hand, it’s been on there a long time, the folds and creases all run with the hat. It’s only stitched in five places but looking at the other badges for sale they all have cotton thread in the same places.

The thread inside is discolored where it crosses the hat headband.

I am confident it is original to the hat and that makes a great find in the select world of IDF collecting.

Steve

Great caps, I thought about trying to get one but these are very pricey
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Great cap. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

there is one currently on ebay from Israel, £350....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The seller is actually the Historama website linked above and in my opinion the stuff he has for sale is overpriced, I don't know if it's a ploy to enter negotiation but it so overpriced you run the risk of insult an consequently has been listed for well over a year.
    He has excellent stuff for sale but as we all know, scarcity has to be backed up with a demand to drive the price tag up. If it was put at open bid, my guess would be $150 to $200. The one before the one I bought was $149, free shipping, Buy it Now and it went in the time I deliberated on it.

I don't mind saying, in the end I paid $200 for mine which is my assessment of 'high end', but now I'm happy with the badge, I'm very pleased with the deal.

I actually think there will be more of these surfacing, a hat is classed as personal equipment, meaning everyone takes it home at the end of service, that generation is sadly passing and Israel has much less connection to families military service then other nations.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast