MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How do you keep your uniforms safe from moths???

Article about: Well, I've heard spiders can do some damage to cloth items. I dont think they "eat" through it tho. I've noticed flys can leave some nasty stains on items.

Default Re: How do you keep your uniforms safe from moths???

Well, I've heard spiders can do some damage to cloth items. I dont think they "eat" through it tho. I've noticed flys can leave some nasty stains on items.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How do you keep your uniforms safe from moths???
    P
    Many

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Do spiders or silverfish also chew on fabric ? I don't get too many moths but i see plenty of the others in the house. I keep my cloth headgear high & dry but i like them on display so they are not covered.
    Actually is the silverfish that eat the wool. The moth issue is a bit inaccurate. Is not the moth butterflies that eat the wool and fabrics but their larvae.
    Check this out: Tineidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also paste, from another page in wiki, these info:

Several moths in the family Tineidae are commonly regarded as pests because their larvae eat fabric such as clothes and blankets made from natural proteinaceous fibers such as wool or silk.[5] They are less likely to eat mixed materials containing artificial fibers. There are some reports that they can be repelled by the scent of wood from juniper and cedar, by lavender, or by other natural oils. However, many consider this unlikely to prevent infestation. Naphthalene (the chemical used in mothballs) is considered more effective, but there are concerns over its effects on human health. Moth larvae may be killed by freezing the items which they infest for several days at a temperature below −8 °C (18 °F).[6]
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

I was also told several years ago by a dress maker that I should place my tunics into sealed plastic bags and put them in the freezer for 24 hours every couple of months. The dress maker said that this would kill the larvae and the eggs. I did it a few times years ago but it is a bit of a drama, you need a lot of freezer space but I suppose if it works it is probably worthwile doing. I put naphthalene flakes in envelopes and put them in all the pockets of my tunics and use clove oil throughout the room, the combination seems to work ok.

Moth balls are very effective but, man they stink a lot and it's also dangerous for human health. In particular they cause respiratory problems.

?

Quote by donkihotis7 View Post
    Moth balls are very effective but, man they stink a lot and it's also dangerous for human health. In particular they cause respiratory problems.

Yes they are also used by unscrupulous sellers to artificially age fake artifacts. I once bought a CBI Blood chit that stunk to high hell of moth balls. it was an obvious fake soaked in mothballs to smell old.

?

P.S. I remember once going to the supermarket with my 90 year old grandmother, God rest her soul. She liked sampling the loose candy & she inadvertantly tasted a mothball from a package that was open. She looked at me and said this is awful candy. LOL

Quote by Aldo View Post
    P.S. I remember once going to the supermarket with my 90 year old grandmother, God rest her soul. She liked sampling the loose candy & she inadvertantly tasted a mothball from a package that was open. She looked at me and said this is awful candy. LOL
    Lol man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2